[SFGP] SF Green Party Weekly 4/7-4/13

announce at sfgreens.org announce at sfgreens.org
Wed Apr 5 23:42:09 PDT 2006

SF GREEN PARTY WEEKLY 4/7/06-4/13/06

NEWS:
  - 3/30: Feinstein Greenhouse Gas Bill Grossly Inadequate
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1471)
  - 3/31: Father of Man Beheaded in Iraq Runs For Congress as a Gree
(http://www.sfgreenparty.org/news/newsitem-start.gem?idx=1472)
  - 3/31: Supervisor Ross Mirkarimi and Mayor Gavin Newsom Host First
Annual Iranian New Year
(http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/news_in_brief/narooz_060331.shtml)
  -  4/4: Health Care for All Massachusetts
(http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/05/us/05mass.html?
_r=1&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fB%2fBelluck%2c%20Pam&
oref=slogin)
  -  4/4: Green Party member and BACORR leader Elizabeth Creeley on "The
Meaning of Tolerance"
(http://www.sanfranciscosentinel.com/news_in_brief/
creely_sentinel_chronicle_wrong_060403.shtml)
  -  4/4: Matt Gonzalez and director Stanley Nelson ponder the fate and
impact of Peoples Temple and Jonestown
(http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=236)

EVENTS:
  -  4/6: Feminist Issues Group
  -  4/6: FILM: "Sir! No Sir!" A Benefit for Iraq Vets Against the War
  -  4/7: Green Party member "Diamond" Dave Whitaker on KDNZ!
  -  4/7: At Sea to See Famous Sunken Ships — Eating with Ghosts of the
Deep with Captain Don Walsh
  -  4/8: Auctioning Off Downtown! San Francisco People's Organization
Art Auction & Party
  - 4/10, 4/23: Reception for Barry Hermanson for Assembly
  - 4/12: SF Green Party County Council meeting
  - 4/13: FILM: INDEPENDENT AMERICA: The Two-Lane Search for Mom & Pop
  - 4/14: 2nd Friday Party for Barry Hermanson For Assembly
  - 4/17: Ruin, Rubble And Race: The San Francisco Earthquake and
Post–Katrina America,1906 to 2006, One Hundred Years Later
  - 4/19: SF Green Party General Membership Meeting
  - 5/24: SAVE THE DATE!!! Something Fun at the Green Party Forum!!!
Join the medley of politics and performance

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:
  - Bay Area Reporter and Fairmont boycott
  - Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group
  - Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

IN EVERY ISSUE:
  - Discuss Instant Runoff Voting in Green Party Activist Jim
Dorenkott's Blog (http://www.dailykos.com/user/jim%20d)
  - Take Action!
  - Become a Green Party Sustainer!

JOKE OF THE WEEK:
  - Daily Show: Bush's War Memo
(http://www.bushflash.com/wmf/TDS-War-Memo-3-30-06.wmv)

NEWS:

4/6: Feminist Issues Group

WHEN:
Thursday, April 6th
7:00PM-9:00PM

WHERE:
Wild Awakenings Cafe, 142 McAllister, San Francisco

DETAILS:
The topic will be "What are the feminist issues today?" The 4th wave is
here.

---------

4/6: FILM: "Sir! No Sir!" A Benefit for Iraq Vets Against the War

WHEN:
Thursday, April 6th
Starts 7:00 PM

WHERE:
Grand Lake Theater, 3200 Grand Avenue, Oakland
(Closest BART: MacArthur or 19th Street Station)

TICKETS:
Advance tickets $8, $10 at the door
For Tickets call 415-255-7296 x244

DETAILS:
Celebrate Soldiers' Resistance from Vietnam to Iraq with the
documentary "Sir, No Sir!," winner of the Audience Award for Best
Documentary at the Los Angeles Film Festival &
Best Documentary Award at the Hamptons International Film Festival

There will also be music, hip hop, spoken word, community

Aimee Allison - Army Conscientious Objector
Pablo Paredes - Iraq War Resister
David Zeiger - Director of the Film
Vietnam Veterans from the Film
Alicia Raquel - Art in Action Spoken Word Artist
Galen Peterson - Art in Action Spoken Word Artist

Presented in partnership with:
Global Exchange, Courage to Resist, Not Your Soldier, Leave My Child
Alone, Not in Our Name, Ruckus Society, Art in Action, Central
Committee for Conscientious Objectors, Veterans for Peace, Codepink

---------

4/7: Green Party member "Diamond" Dave Whitaker on KDNZ!

WHEN:
Friday, April 7th
6:30PM-7:30PM

WHERE:
The radio. Tune in at at 88.1 FM, 880 AM, or listen online at
http://www.usfca.edu/clubs/kdnz/

DETAILS:
Longtime San Francisco activist, poet, and Green Party member "Diamond"
Dave Whitaker will be a guest on KDNZ. The show is called "The War of
Art Waged on the Radio" with Spencer the Speaker.

---------

4/7: At Sea to See Famous Sunken Ships — Eating with Ghosts of the Deep
with Captain Don Walsh

WHEN:
Friday, April 7th
Meeting starts at 6:30 PM
Speaker at 7:45 PM

WHERE:
Golden Gate Yacht Club, the Marina, San Francisco

TICKETS:
$20, including light buffet and beverage
Make reservations at http://www.acteva.com/booking.cfm?bevaid=108061

INFO:
Contact Anders Jepsen (ajviking at aol.com or 925-254-3079).

DETAILS:
Don Walsh (HON61, Explorers Medalist'01) is a retired naval deep
submersible pilot (the first), a Ph.D. Oceanographer who has taught and
written over 200 publications, has worked in the Arctic and Antarctic
on over 50 expeditions, is a member of the National Academy of
Engineering, has travelled to over 112 nations, served in two wars,
graduated from the Naval Academy and Texas A&M and was born in
Berkeley.

In 2001, he was cited as one of the great explorers in the Life
Magazine book, The Greatest Adventures of All Time.
With Jacques Piccard he dove Trieste to the deepest place in the World
Ocean: 35,840 feet. While still on earth these two men were farthest
from sea level than any others, ever. The feat has never been
duplicated.

This evening's talk will describe the 12-14 hour dives to those famous
shipwrecks, and what it was like to enjoy a modest box lunch while
sitting on the decks of these ships. It is interesting to know that
these dive programs were for paying tourists. In the past seven years
nearly 80 have made the two-mile trip down to Titanic and about 12 to
Bismarck.

A brief history of each ship's loss will be given to provide a context
for the diving operations. Don will even tell you how anyone can join
these expeditions.

San Francisco Ocean Film Festival
web: http://oceanfilmfest.org
e-mail: info at oceanfilmfest.org

---------

4/8: Auctioning Off Downtown! San Francisco People's Organization Art
Auction & Party

WHEN:
Saturday, April 8th
7:30 — Gallery Doors Open
7:30 - 10:30—Music and Silent Auction
9:30 — Live Auction with Matt Gonzalez auctioneer

WHERE:
111 Minna, San Francisco

TICKETS:
$10-$20, or pay what you can
Advance Tickets available at Ticketweb.com

DETAILS:
Music by Goh Nakamura, Dan Johnson, DJ VNA, Olga Salamanca, & judy b.

Poetry reading by SF Poet Laureate Jack Hirschman

Work-in-Progress Film screening of °∞For Real Bayview°± by Markus
Darkraven

Artists: Chris Corales, Ben Baumgartner, Monique Deschaines, Mark
Erlinger, Lawrence Ferlenghetti, Ana Fernandez, Pam Pam Gaddies, Albert
Herter, Blake Herod, Jack Hirschman, Martha Hubert, Jamie Knight, Luna
Media, Robin Margerin, Siri Margerin, Valerie Mih, Theresa Morris,
Keady Phelan, Lucho Pozo, Michael Rauner, Jane Reed, Albert Reyes,
Steve Richards, Janet Rosen, Augusta Talbot, Amy Trachtenberg, Debra
Walker, Kelly Yount, Arngunnur Yr, & MORE°≠

Curators: Bruno Mauro, Siri Margerin and Catherine Rauschuber

Honorary Hosts: Chris Daly, Matt Gonzalez, Jack Hirschman, Mesha
Irazarry, Krissy Keefer, Ross Mirkarimi, & Debra Walker

---------

4/10, 4/23: Reception for Barry Hermanson for Assembly

WHEN and WHERE:
Monday, April 10
7:00PM-8:30PM
1045 Santiago, San Francisco

Sunday, April 23
3:00PM-5:00PM
1339 27th Avenue, San Francisco

DETAILS:
Join the Westside Green Club in support of Green candidates:

Barry Hermanson (State Assembly, District 12) and Nancy Lewis (Green
Party County Council)

Refreshments served. Bring family, friends and all interested voters.
Children are most welcome.  These events are sponsored by the Westside
Green Club.

---------

4/12: SF Green Party County Council meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, April 12
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
This is the Green Party's monthly meeting of the County Council. We
will be setting the agenda for the General Membership meeting,
reviewing our finances, and other business related discussion and
decisions.

---------

4/13: FILM: INDEPENDENT AMERICA: The Two-Lane Search for Mom & Pop

WHEN:
Thursday, April 13
Starts 7:30PM

WHERE:
Brava Theater Center, 2781 24th Street (@ York St.), San Francisco

TICKETS:
$5-$10, and go on sale 30 minutes before the show. Proceeds benefit the
2006 CounterCorp Film Festival in October.

INFORMATION:
http://www.countercorp.org

DETAILS:
In their new 80-minute documentary, "INDEPENDENT AMERICA,"
award-winning journalists Hanson Hosein and Heather Hughes took a
32-state road trip to uncover the growing opposition to corporate
franchises and Å0Ç9big box  retailers across the U.S., and the David
vs. Goliath struggle that local small businesses, many of them local
"mom and pop" stores, are being forced towage to stay alive.

The former reports have only two self-imposed rules: 1) no interstate
highways, and 2) no corporate    chains -- including gas stations,
restaurants, hotels, and grocery stores. In other words, they can only
shop with mom and pop.

What they discover during their trip is growing discontent with
corporate America, and a growing movement away from globalization and
toward localization, as individuals and small businesses across the
country band together to preserve not only their livelihoods, but their
local communities as well.

In Colorado, a Starbucks is repeatedly vandalized. In Texas, a
rebellious city forces Borders Books into retreat. Residents of
AmericaÅ0Ç8s Å0Ç9Fourth of July  capital in Nebraska turn against their
new Wal-Mart. And an entire Wyoming town goes into business for itself
after it is abandoned by its one chain department store.

Along the way, their conversations with corporate executives,
economists, entrepreneurs, political leaders, union members, and
ordinary Americans from all walks of life lead Hosein and Hughes to
conclude that a healthy democracy needs local small businesses if it is
to control ever-growing corporate power.

The film will be followed by a panel discussion.

---------

4/14: 2nd Friday Party for Barry Hermanson For Assembly

WHEN:
Friday, April 14th, 6 to 9 p.m.

WHERE:
The home of Barry Hermanson
2467 28th Avenue, San Francisco 94116 (1/2 block from the L-Taraval
Street Car line)

CONTRIBUTIONS:
Minimum donation of $25 per person requested (no corporate
contributions accepted)
Please make checks payable to: Barry Hermanson For Assembly
No one will be turned away for lack of funds.

DETAILS:
This month, the artwork of Kelly Nelson will be shown.  Kelly is the
Program Director at the Art Production Center on 14th Street.  In
addition to being a very talented artist, her creativity enables
developmentally disabled adults to express themselves through art.
(Later this year, we will have an art show of their work.)  We will
also hear the political punk/folk banjo of Jack Chernos.  If you
haven't heard his music before, I encourage you to visit his web site:
http://www.department-of-justice.org/.  Lots of good tunes -  check out
the solo guitar version of  “My People Are Rising.”

In addition to the homebrew beer, fresh homemade bread and a big pot of
vegetarian soup will be available.  For those who don't drink beer -
wine, soda and water will be served.

RSVP by calling 415-664-7754.

---------

4/17: Ruin, Rubble And Race: The San Francisco Earthquake and
Post–Katrina America,1906 to 2006, One Hundred Years Later

WHEN:
Monday, April 17
6:30PM-8:30PM

WHERE:
Gordon J. Lau Elementary School, 950 Clay Street (between Stockton &
Powell), San Francisco

ADMISSION:
Free. Food provided.

INFO:
Contact Nicole Derse at 415-374-5429

DETAILS:
History has revealed that the 1906 Earthquake and Fire, and the
monumental, post-disaster rebuilding efforts, gave tragic rise to a
modern era of twentieth-century displacement and gentrification of
working-class people, immigrants and communities of color throughout
San Francisco.  In 2005, the nation witnessed how Hurricane Katrina and
the government's racist and cruel response devastated the social and
economic conditions of these same communities in the Gulf Coast region.

One hundred years later we ask: "What would happen if another
earthquake shakes up San Francisco? Who would survive? Who would be
displaced? And would the city be rebuilt for the wealthy, power elite
and corporations that dominant the debate?"

Join us for the discussion!  This event is co-sponsored by the
Chinatown Community Development Center, Mission Agenda, The Progressive
Voter Project, Senior Action Network and the San Francisco Peoples'
Organization, along with Supervisor Chris Daly, Supervisor Ross
Mirkarimi and Supervisor Aaron Peskin.

Panelists Include:

- CC Campbell-Rock, Katrina Survivor, Community Organizer, and
Journalist
- Willie Ratcliff, Community Activist and Editor of San Francisco Bay
View newspaper
- Connie Young Yu, Historian and Author of Chinatown, San Jose, USA
- Chris Carlsson, Board President, Counterpulse and Executive Director,
Shaping San Francisco: An Interactive Multimedia Excavation of the Lost
History of San Francisco
- Shanell Williams, Community Activist, Former SF Youth Commissioner

Distinguished Emcee:
Bob Wing, Activist and Writer

---------

4/19: SF Green Party General Membership Meeting

WHEN:
Wednesday, April 19
7:30PM-9:30PM

WHERE:
San Francisco Green Party office, 1028 A Howard St (between 6th St. and
7th St.), San Francisco

DETAILS:
We will be taking up local initiatives and finishing any decisions
around candidate endorsements. Any active Green may participate in
endorsement decisions.

---------

5/24: SAVE THE DATE!!! Something Fun at the Green Party Forum!!!  Join
the medley of politics and performance

WHEN:
Wednesday, May 24
7:00PM-2:00AM

WHERE:
Studio Z, 314 11th Street @ Folsom, San Francisco

CONTACT:
(415) 252-7666
www.StudioZ.tv

ADMISSION:
$5 to $500 Must be 21+, with ID No one turned away for lack of funds

DETAILS:
Join the medley of politics and performance with:  Barry Hermanson
(candidate for 12th Assembly district), Forrest Hill (candidate for
Secretary of State), Ross Mirkarimi (Supervisor, District 5), Mehul
Thakker (candidate for state treasurer), Laura Wells (candidate for
state controller), Diamond Dave Whitaker (San Francisco icon of poetry
and Greenism ...), Ubidube Whitaker (Rocker and son of icon ...), Mike
Wyman (candidate for state Attorney General), Go Van Gogh (Indy rock
band), Garrin Benfield (Indy soloist)  And more ...
==============================

ANNOUNCEMENTS & ACTION ALERTS:

Bay Area Reporter and Fairmont boycott

The Harvey Milk LGBT Democratic Club just found out that the Bay Area
Reporter is planning on holding their 35th Anniversary at the Fairmont
Hotel this Friday.  Local 2 members were locked out by the Fairmont for
53 days and currently are engaged in a long-standing, nearly 2-year
boycot of the Hotel--the boycott is still on.   It's tough to move an
event at the last minute, but it's critical that queer community groups
hold the line on the boycott. Please support Local 2 workers and call
Tom Horn or Mike Yamashito at 861 5019 of the BAR and encourage them to
move their event.

---------

Co-Chair Needed for GROW Working Group

Micheas Herman of the GROW Working Group (tabling and voter
registration) is seeking a new co-chair.  Contact Micheas Herman at ...
or the County Council at cc at sfgreens.org for more information.

---------

Earn A Living Making San Francisco A More Green and Progressive City!

Two years ago, former organizers for the Matt Gonzalez for Mayor
campaign decided it was time to stop getting 'close but not close
enough' to progressive victories like public power and Matt as Mayor,
and to begin a city wide, year round, grassroots campaign that would
start helping us win such victories!

So in January 2004, the organization Our City was born. Since then we
have helped to:

- Pass the ban on old polluting diesel buses
- Pass Matt Gonzalez's anti chain store law
- Get the downtown hotel workers back on the job, and
- Get the Police and Planning Commissions put back on SF Government TV
after the City tried to pull them off.

Now we are campaigning to get rid of PG&E's monopoly on our electricity
service, and start running the City on renewable energy like solar and
wind power instead!

We have just begun hiring and training new grassroots campaigners to
help us win this fight.
No experience necessary.
Earn $280 to $400 each four day work week learning to be a strong
progressive organizer.
To apply, call Eric at 415-756-8844 from noon to 2pm any weekday, or
send an email to jobs at our-city.org

For more information, see our web site at http://our-city.org

==============================

IN EVERY ISSUE:

Take Action!

Find out about opportunities to help our elected Greens (writing
letters, attending hearings, etc) -- subscribe to the SF Green Party
Action list! The Action list is a low-traffic list (approximately one
message per week in addition to our newsletter) telling you what you
can do to help:

---------

Become a Green Party Sustainer!

As you may know, the SFGP is supported by our wonderful sustaining
donors -- 175 and growing.  In the next 12 months we hope to double
that figure, and you can help us achieve our goal by signing up to make
a regular contribution to the Green Party.

Our sustainer program nearly pays all of our basic monthly operating
expenses, including rent and utilities on the office, and drastically
reduces the amount of work needed to raise money.  Our sustainers free
us up to do what we're really here for - to pursue Green values through
the democratic system. Sustainers also ensure that we are able to keep
our office, which has hosted numerous campaigns' headquarters including
the successful Prop A, Instant Runoff Voting initiative.

Becoming a Green Party sustainer is easy, fun, and secure!

For more information, see
http://www.sfgreenparty.org/makeadonation/makeadonation.html