[SFGP] Greenzine: Francisco Herrera for Supervisor, upcoming events

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Fri Apr 15 09:39:38 PDT 2016

April 15

    In our last newsletter, we announced our June endorsements, and
also that we've made an early endorsement for the November election:
http://sfgreenparty.org/endorsements/74-june-2016-endorsements

    Francisco Herrera, who finished with 1/3 of the votes in last
year's Mayoral election, is running for Supervisor of District 11, the
district currently represented by John Avalos!  Francisco will make a
great representative for D11 residents as well as all people
throughout the City who share Green values.

    This is a race that Francisco can win, provided he can get enough
donations to receive public financing!  Please help him out by
donating to his campaign, and by coming to the election teach-in this
Saturday (see below)

    Donate to Francisco's campaign here:
https://squareup.com/store/francisco4supe/

(When donating, please put your occupation, employer, and address
where you're registered to vote in the "note" field.)

    More info is on his Facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/FranciscoHerreraforsupervisor/

*===========================*

What:  Election Teach-in!  Democracy is for everyone...all ages
  and ethnicities welcome.
When:  Saturday April 16th, 10 am to 11 am.
Where:  Excelsior Library, 4400 Mission Av., SF in Meeting Room.

Understand why Ranked Choice Voting is a much better and more ethical
ballot system than the previous winner-take-all system. Why vote for
more than one candidate? It actually represents YOU better.

Learn how to become a poll worker and earn $95-$195 for working the
June 7 Primary Election. Applications will be available. Excellent
training at SF City Hall.

FREE handouts in English, Spanish, Chinese and Tagalog.

Register to Vote (deadline for June election is May 23rd) or update
your registration/change address/ political parties. Also learn how
you can help to register other voters.

The free event is offered by the Peoples' Campaign. call 650-303-1176
for more information. English & Spanish speakers present.

*===========================*

What:  Unitarian Universalist Breakfast Forum on CleanPowerSF
Where:  Martin Luther King Room, First Unitarian Universalist
  Church, San Francisco, 1187 Franklin Street at Geary
When:  Sunday, April 17, 2016, 9 am - 10:45 am

Green Party member Eric Brooks speaks on CleanPowerSF

Eric Brooks began his grassroots campaigning in 1985 working for Ralph
Nader's PIRGs in California and Oregon, and has worked as a field
organizer, campaign manager, and coalition builder for several
organizations.  He has been a coordinator for San Francisco Clean
Energy Advocates for 12 years and is the preeminent source of
knowledge on the long and arduous effort to make CleanPowerSF a
reality.

9:00:    Coffee/socializing.  Breakfast is available for nominal fee.
9:30:    CleanPowerSF presentation
10:30:    Questions, Comments, Discussion
10:45:    Adjourn

*===========================*

What:  Green Party Monthly Meeting
Where:  Redstone Building, 2940 16th Street #301, San Francisco, CA
When:  Wed, April 27, 7-9 pm

Every 4th Wednesday the SF Green Party meets to discuss issues of
concern, listen to interesting speakers, endorse events, plan outreach
and more!  Everyone welcome. To make a presentation or gain the SFGP
endorsement of events and issues, please contact our SFGP County
Council at: cc at sfgreens.org

Meetings are now held in our new office space in the Redstone
Building!  2940 16th Street #301, San Francisco, CA

*===========================*

What:  OccupyForum on Waging Non-Violent Revolution through
  Constitutional Amendment, with David Cobb
Where:  Local 2, 215 Golden Gate near Leavenworth, Civic Center BART station
When:  Monday, May 2nd from 6 - 9 pm

Corporations do not merely exercise power, they rule over us. The wealthy
elite have stolen our sacred right to self-government, and the
illegitimate, court-created legal doctrines of "corporate constitutional
rights" and "money is political speech" legalize the theft.

All across the country ordinary folks are crying ENOUGH!!!! Come hear how
you can get involved in a concrete campaign to abolish these doctrines via
a constitutional amendment. *Move To Amend's* strategy incorporates art and
culture, grassroots organizing and educating, resolutions and initiatives,
and we are beginning to explore direct action strategies.

The session will be facilitated by *David Cobb*, a people's lawyer and an
engaged citizen. Cobb has sued corporate polluters, lobbied elected
officials, run for office himself, and been arrested for non-violent civil
disobedience. He ran for Attorney General of Texas pledging to use the
office to revoke the charters of corporations that violate health, safety
and environmental protection laws. In 2004 he was the Green Party nominee
for President of the US, and filed for the Ohio Recount that helped to
launch a movement for election integrity and against the use of electronic
voting machines.

*===========================*

What:  Green Party of California General Assembly
Where:  Redstone Building, 2940 16th Street, San Francisco, CA
When:  May 14-15, all day

The next General Assembly and Gathering of the Green Party of
California will take place on Saturday/Sunday, May 14-15 in San
Francisco!

The draft agenda is here:
http://www.cagreens.org/ga/2016-05/agenda-draft-to-counties

The event will be held at the historic site of the San Francisco Labor
Temple, now known as the Redstone Building, 2926-2948 16th Street
between Mission and South Van Ness, San Francisco.

Registration is here:
https://cagreens.nationbuilder.com/reg_ga_may2016
and is $40 through April 27, $50 afterwards.

San Francisco can send 7 official delegates, as well as an unlimited
number of observers.  If you want to be a delegate, email us!  We'll
choose delegates at our monthly meeting on April 27.  You don't have
to be a delegate to register for the meeting.

There will be a special 'Green Gathering' session from 2:30pm to 6pm
on Saturday, with workshops/breakout sessions on issues and
organizing.  The content for that session is still being firmed up.
If there are special themes you want to see included, please let us
know at gpca at cagreens.org.

Please share this with other Greens in your county.  We hope to see
you in San Francisco!

Paid contractor wanted: SF Green Party Fundraiser/Volunteer Coordinator
(a part time independent contractor (1099) position):

http://sfgreenparty.org/help-wanted