[SFGP] Greenzine - discussion of COVID vaccines and mandates on Wed, 9/22

Announcement list for SF Green Party, updated weekly announce at sfgreens.org
Mon Sep 20 22:16:38 PDT 2021

September 20, 2021

instagram.com/sfgreenparty
mastodon.sfgreens.org/@sfgreenparty

    Thanks to everybody who voted in last week's Gubernatorial recall
election!  Our endorsed position of "no" on the recall won with 86% of
the vote in SF, and our endorsed candidate, LA Green Party member Dan
Kaplelovitz, has received nearly 3000 votes in SF to date.  Kapelovitz
earned nearly twice as many votes in SF as Caitlyn Jenner, just one of
many conservative candidates who received extensive positive coverage
from the SF Chronicle.  Results from mail-in ballots are still being
counted, and current totals can be found here:
  https://sfelections.sfgov.org/september-14-2021-election-results-summary

    Several local Greens published op-eds in local media this week.
Barry Hermanson wrote an article on "Turning off the gas" in the SF
Bayview:
  https://sfbayview.com/2021/08/turning-off-the-gas/
and Steven Hill wrote about "The Great Highway shutdown fiasco" at
48 Hills:
  https://48hills.org/2021/09/the-great-highway-shutdown-fiasco/

    Please join us this Wednesday, 9/22, from 7-9 pm for our monthly
membership meeting.  You can participate in person or online:

What:  Green Party Monthly meeting
Where:  Redstone Bldg (2940 16th Street, near South Van Ness) #301, SF
When:  Wed, Sep 22, 7-9 pm

Agenda items:
1) Introductions
2) Update on SB9 and 10 passing, and how we might help to repeal
   them.
3) Decide our position on COVID vaccines and mandates.  Do we think
   current COVID vaccines are safe and effective, and what is our
   position on government and/or business mandates?
4) Decide SF positions on GPCA proposals regarding changes to internal
   state party elections.

Mask protocol: SF's COVID rules currently require people to wear masks
indoors, even if everybody present is fully vaccinated, unless you are
Mayor Breed or one of her friends or allies from the Democratic Party.
We now provide the option for SF Green Party members to participate in
our meetings via Zoom, so email cc at sfgreens.org for info on how you
can join us virtually.

Every 4th Wednesday the SF Green Party meets to discuss issues of
concern, listen to interesting speakers, endorse events, plan outreach
and more!  Everyone welcome.  All meetings are wheelchair accessible.
To make a presentation or gain the SFGP endorsement of events and
issues, please contact our SFGP County Council at: cc at sfgreens.org

*===========================*

What:  KPFA election
Where:  online
When:  ballots were sent by email 8/16, vote before 10/15.

If you're a KPFA member, please be sure to vote for the Rescue
Pacifica candidates in the Local Station Board (LSB) election.  It
will be conducted using ranked choice voting.  We have endorsed the
nine Rescue Pacifica candidates, as listed below.  (More info about
Rescue Pacifica is here: https://rescuepacifica.net/ ).

This year's election is vital to preserve democracy at KPFA and
Pacifica!  Individuals involved with the opposing faction worked to
gut the powers of the LSB and they've filed lawsuits to try to take
control of KPFA and the Pacifica network.  Please use your democratic
voting rights to maintain and strengthen the LSB by voting for the
Rescue Pacifica candidates as your top nine choices!

Please vote for all nine of the following candidates as your top
choices (in any order):

Rich Stone *
Daniel Borgstrom *
Don Macleay *
James McFadden *
Adisa Armand
Donna Carter
Pete Farruggio
Amber Jayanti
Elizabeth Milos

* = Registered Greens; note that Rich Stone is a County Council member
here in San Francisco.

Thank you for standing up for democracy and supporting progressive,
independent radio!

*===========================*

What:  Online events
When:  various dates, see below

Below are some more online events -- as before, almost all of them are
free, and they're hosted across the country, as well as in Canada, the
UK, New Zealand, and Ireland.  (The listed times are for the local
Pacific time zone).  They cover a fairly broad range of topics, so
please just ignore the ones you're not interested in.  And of course,
do feel free to forward as much or as little of this info to others as
you'd like:

Tue, 9/21, 11:30 am -- Sustainable Book Group (launch meeting,
discussing Doughnut Economics) -- The first meeting of a new
Sustainability Book Club hosted by Transition Tavistock. A chance to
discuss new and classic titles that inspire -- Something tasty to
start with - "Doughnut Economics" by Kate Raworth, who argues that a
healthy economy should be designed to thrive, not grow --
https://www.eventbrite.com/e/sustainable-book-group-launch-meeting-discussing-doughnut-economics-tickets-166786750661?aff=ebdssbonlinesearch&keep_tld=1

Tue, 9/21, 7 pm -- California RCV Coalition Statewide Launch
California has been a leader when it comes to ranked choice voting,
with several cities implementing the reform beginning two decades
ago. Now some advocates are looking to build on that success by
starting a new statewide organization to bring ranked choice voting to
more communities. They have a launch event coming up next week. We
hope you’ll consider attending.
https://www.fairvote.org/r?u=iKj5iuxBXy-0B6ifolAJk-7Mb6lE5uIHFHjDzmPEvfamRDiGT5AvT08b1YASRO8u7QaEig2TVL-D68flzDeuVdVe-mXBSuD198xJscNTiAo&e=c9984d49aae3f033658fde5f2a8d555c&utm_source=fairvote&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=ca_rcv_coalition_launch&n=2