[GPCA-SGA-Votes] Discuss ID 154: Bylaws Interpretation regarding GPCA Endorsements of candidates in statewide races in June 2018 Primary Election

Christopher Carlson chris at bestofbroadway.org
Fri Feb 16 15:52:41 PST 2018

Thank you for posting this bylaws interpretation.

To the Standing General Assembly,

This is the bylaws interpretation that is being submitted before you in
order to endorse single candidates in each statewide race.
I am opposed to this bylaws interpretation on three grounds.

1. This bylaws interpretation omits the fact that only one candidate will
receive an endorsement.

While several WHEREASes are given in support of endorsing "candidates,"
none of them provide grounds for limiting endorsement to a single candidate
in each race.
Outside of this amendment, not included in the language, is the stipulation
that only one candidate will proceed from this vote with an endorsement
from the party.
Concisely, one at all or none at all. This is contrary to the misleading
implication of the statement that "all Green candidates who have officially
qualified to be candidates on the CA primary ballot by the time of the SGA
vote be on the SGA ballot for endorsement." Equal Opportunity endorsements
are not extended to all candidates.

2. This bylaws interpretation seeks to reinforce an semiformal policy of
endorsement that does not need to exist under top-two primary conditions.
According to it's own language:

"no existing party rules governing specifically how and which candidates
shall be placed before the Standing General Assembly for endorsement"
This is neither a bylaw nor is it a window of opportunity to present a
non-transparent, unclear process to the SGA without having taken the
correct course of submitting the endorsement procedure, in it's entirety,
before the GPCA for approval, as mandated by the following:

3. This bylaws interpretation claims to justify a vote before the SGA while
citing a bylaw that requires this procedure to be brought before the GPCA,
not the SGA.

"Whereas at the same time, these same procedures governing endorsements
state that in special circumstances, the Coordinating Committee can approve
a statement of findings to clarify under which special circumstances a
primary election endorsement should be held, and that "an endorsement
procedure would be brought before the GPCA."
The Coordinating committee is circumventing the GPCA to put a procedure
forward to the SGA instead.

This bylaws interpretation needs revision before being submitted for
discussion. It does not specify clearly the rules of the procedure enough
to indicate that only a single candidate may receive an endorsement per
statewide office. The Coordinating Committee has not submitted to the GPCA
the rules of procedure they seek to establish, and the grounds for
endorsement are clearly established to haphazardly determine, with
subjective language "viable candidates" in order to grant them state funds,
belied by the inclusion of this bylaw citation:
"Whereas the criteria for awarding Campaign Support Funds (
http://www.cagreens.org/committees/campaign-support/criteria) includes a
requirement that any candidate to be considered for such fund must be
endorsed by their county party (for a non-statewide race) or the state
party (for a statewide race);"

Because the Coordinating Committee on the advice of " the GPCA's GPUS
Delegation." seeks to endorse and consider single, specific candidates for
funding, has granted itself power to mandate a vote requiring a bylaws
interpretation that would at best authorize them to submit procedures of
this vote to be approved by the GPCA,  I oppose a "Yes" vote on this bylaws
interpretation. It violates Three of our Ten Key Values by circumventing
Grassroots Democracy to impose the will of one Green over another
(Decentralization) to deny multiple candidates for the same statewide
office the "Equal Opportunity" of endorsement for all.

Please join me, Veronika Fimbres, and many others in opposition to this
vote, as it is also not specified if your ranked choice candidate votes
will count if you vote against the bylaw interpretation. There should be no
need for clarification if the procedure were clearly outlined in the bylaw
interpretation, it is not.

I will yield to clarification if the GPCA referred to in the bylaws is
indeed the same body of voters as the SGA, though membership in the GPCA
far exceeds SGA membership.

Thank you,
Chris Carlson