[GPCA-SGA-Votes] Discuss ID 145: GPCA endorsement for Governor

Christopher Carlson chris at bestofbroadway.org
Fri Feb 16 16:57:10 PST 2018

Erik,

"CADEM has 8 million members and corporate media. GPCA has 100,000 and
social media."
According to Secretary of State, 91,631 as of January 2, 2018. 94,720 as of
February 10, 2017.
We have lost 3,000 party members in less than 1 year.
94,647 in Nov 16.
77,868 in May 16.
109,836 in Feb 15.
110,511 in Nov 14.
109,674 in May 14.
108,785 in Dec 13.

All of these statistics show growth/decline in the party since the last
gubernatorial election in 2014.
In 2014 that the Green Party of California tried the exact strategy you are
supporting now.
Feeling been robbed of a primary, a single candidate was endorsed for each
statewide office.
Comparing Jan 2018 to Dec 2013, we are seeing a loss of (108,785 - 91,631)
17,154 registered voters.

That amounts to a net loss of 15%.

If we continue forward with the same strategy we tried in the 2014
election, we stand to lose another 15%,
and by compare the May 2014 total to the May 2016 to say we could lose
another 29% of what we have today.
That would leave the Green Party sitting at an approximate registration of
67,250 going into May 2020.

We have tried this strategy before and it has failed to generate growth in
the party. In 2014 our single Green Governors Candidate Luis J. Rodriguez
received 66,872 total votes (Wikipedia) totaling 1.54%. If all registered
Greens had voted, Luis would have earned 2.5% of the vote. Meanwhile, over
in the controller race, Laura Wells snagged 231,352 votes, almost two for
every one registered Green. Where is Luis now? And why did he not receive
the votes of all 109,674 registered Greens at the time? Is a Green running
in a Controller race?

On to the 2010 Primary, that we were robbed of. Only 19% of registered
Greens (22,081) turned out to vote. Laura Wells went on to claim 129,231
votes, (1.2%) against the establishment parties in the General Election.
Laura received 15,400 votes above the 113,835 tally of registered Greens, a
1.2% voteshare. Rodriguez improved upon her voteshare by 22%.

If you believe that a single candidate can truly win a seat in the top two
Governor's primary, or the Secretary of State's, the Greens carried 1.54%
in 2014 under top-two, and 1.2% in 2010 with an official state primary. We
have no data suggesting one Green will fare better starting with fewer
registered voters.

The SF Berniecrats endorsed Delaine Eastin after Josh Jones approached them
for support.

Mad respect,
Chris Carlson