[GPCA-SGA-Votes] Discuss ID 147: GPCA endorsement for Secretary of State

Wanda Jean Lord lordwandajean at gmail.com
Sun Feb 18 12:57:04 PST 2018

Hi Genevieve,

Thank you for your thoughtful response.

A few thoughts back… citing a minimum number (quorum) necessary for decision making at the GA … is different that appointing a given number SGA folks and leaving other GA representatives without a direct voice.  As the numbers are similar – it seems to me that an additional level of bureaucracy that the SGA is - is unnecessary.

Why not just keep it simple?  If you are a GA you vote on topics that GA’s vote upon – and that’s it.  The vote can occur face to face or online and quorum getting looks pretty doable as you mentioned the numbers are almost the same.

I am not sure about how reasonable it is to state that GA delegates may not be inclined to attend digital meetings – in our council we’ve held digital meetings from time to time as needed and always had very strong attendance, and effective, simple and agenda driven meetings resulting in good decision making.  Digital meetings are the way most people regularly do business these days.

I agree that it would be unrealistic to get the input of 100,00 Greens … I don’t recall where any of my statements suggested that as an option – but if it somehow did – it wasn’t intended and I agree with your statement, at least in the present way that things are done at the GPCA.

I understand that it appears that at the time the SGA may have been created – it was designed as a way to help.  How long ago was that?

Maybe what we are facing is just the need for the party and its mechanisms to evolve from the best practices of the 1990’s into what is the most efficient and most inviting and participatory in 2018 ☺ .

That would be my hope.

Wanda