[GPCA-SGA-Votes] Discuss ID 155: Endorsement Policy Amendment: GPCA Endorsements for General Election Candidates

Nicole Castor nmcastorsilva at gmail.com
Thu Feb 22 15:08:42 PST 2018

"I’m for endorsing candidates that share Green values. We rail against
politicians that put party over principles. We should not do the same."
(Jeff)

"I cannot recall any examples of politicians we have railed against for
putting party over principles. I do not think this is a major concern in
our struggles for political reforms, etc." (Nicole)

"I have an example: Bernie Sanders" (Sadie)

Bernie Sanders cannot accurately be used as an example because he did not
choose "party over principles," when he ran as Dem or endorsed the Dem
nominee, Hillary Clinton, because his principles and Congressional history
align w/ the Democratic platform and his actions were consistent w/ the
principles he had previously shown in supporting the Democratic Party.
In Orange County, we require any candidate
seeking endorsement, Green, independent, or
otherwise, to submit a written statement of which
parts of the GPCA platform they agree or disagree
with, and their reasoning for any disagreements.

This keeps the casuals from wasting our time,
and gives us something on paper that we can
wave in their faces if they end up violating our
principles when in office.

--GJ

On Thu, 22 Feb 2018 12:01:04 -0800 Nicole Castor