[GPCA-SGA-Votes] Discuss ID 143: GPCA position on Proposition 72 - Property tax: new construction exclusion: rain water capture system.

Victoria Ashley victronix01 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 24 21:57:33 PDT 2018

All,

The Green Party of Alameda County recommends a "Yes" vote on Prop. 72.
Below is our current draft Voter Guide article for Prop. 72.

Greg

Prop. 72 -- YES
Rainwater Capture Systems Excluded from Property Tax Assessments

This measure simply adds the words "rainwater capture systems" to a short
list of other helpful property improvements (such as solar panels,
wheelchair ramps, and fire sprinkler systems) which are already EXCLUDED
from the "new construction" provision in property tax reassessments.
According to the author of the measure, state senator Steve Glazer of
Orinda (Contra Costa county), this proposal is modeled after similar 1980s
legislation that added a property tax exclusion for solar systems

The measure was unanimously endorsed by both houses of the state
legislature and no one is on record in the official state of California
voter information guide as opposing this measure, either. It's kind of odd
that it's on the ballot at all, but that will raise consciousness about
this simple Green-value home improvement.