[GPCA-SGA-Votes] Discussion On Items ID 144, 146, 148, 150, 151, 152 & 155: Endorsing Non-Green Candidates For Statewide Office

Jesse Townley jt02 at mindspring.com
Thu Mar 29 09:00:57 PDT 2018

Hmm, you may have missed my comments in favor that were directly based on real-life election successes here in Berkeley, CA. I sent them a couple days ago.

More points NOT based in "supposition, assumptions, faith, etc.”:
We’ve had elected Green Party members on the City Council and the Rent Board since the early 1990s in part because of cross-endorsements and coalition-building with like-minded non-Greens.

Our local County Council and our city’s Chapter has always cross-endorsed, and our Green Voting Guide is a vital source of information for a broad swath of local progressives and leftists. Because we discuss candidates and propositions fully, including highlighting non-Green candidates, we are seen as a realistic & viable option to the Big $$$ parties & candidates. This is KEY to our on-going electoral success with the majority non-Green electorate.

Secondly, this allows the state Party the flexibility that our Counties & Chapters already have. Why restrict our options? There’s nothing here that mandates cross-endorsements.

Yours,
Jesse Townley
Berkeley Rent Board, current member & former Chair, 2008-present
Alameda County Green