[Sustain] [Transpo] Excellent Short Audio On The Biofuels Myth

Dennis Brumm brumm at brumm.com
Thu Apr 5 12:49:59 PDT 2007

>=Eric, I think you are very unrealistic about the potential of solar,
>wind, tidal, and wave.  Currently, all those "alternative" forms of
>energy generation account for less than one percent of the energy that
>is generated nationally.  I think you need to start working the term
>"carbon tax" into your discussions, as we need to drastically reduce
>the amount of energy that we are using.=

Without a real paradigm shift in the thinking of the average
American, any group that proposed such a tax would not stay elected
for long. I don't know how to convince individuals that their
respective footprints are part of the global problem. But they are.

 >He reminds us that there is no such thing as a "free byproduct of
growing food crops,"

Sue is right on about land and soils. Presently with cheap natural
gas agriculture, they have been very nearly ruined as they produced
"unnatural" yields. With natural gas in decline (and oil most
probably too at this juncture), we need to be restoring them big
time, rather than exploiting them to grow food simply because we want
to maintain personal transportation vehicles. The downside (which has
been written about a lot more lately, fortunately) includes
increasing food prices, creating hunger and starving the poor
worldwide, and contributing to further degradation of the planet.