[Sustain] Community Choice press conference

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Mon Apr 16 16:21:03 PDT 2007

civillib at cwnet.com wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> I'm trying to put together a basic release re: below. HOWEVER, I do need a
> few things...
>
> 1. An update on what is going on tomorrow (news conference w/ammiano, ross,
> etc. right?).

Tomorrow, at 1pm, Supervisors Tom Ammiano and Ross Mirkarimi, will be
introducing 1) The Implementation Ordinance for San Francisco's
Community Choice renewable energy project, which will provide San
Francisco with 50% solar and wind electricity by the end of the next
decade, and 2) a Statement of Intent Ordinance to the California Public
Utilities Commission announcing that San Francisco is moving forward
with the project.
The ordinances will be introduced during Board of Supervisors 'Roll Call
For Introductions'.

> 2. When is the legislation due for a vote?

The legislation will go to the Board's Budget and Finance Committee
either tomorrow, or Tuesday, April 24, and should reach the full Board
of Supervisors for a final vote by mid to late May.
> 3. What's the very brief (1 paragraph or 2) history of it...introduced, etc.

The Implementation Ordinance has gone through a three year process of
hearings before the Local Agency Formation Commission (LAFCO), and the
Budget and Finance Committee, during which the implementation plan was
continuously debated and re-written until it reached its current form,
which Ammiano and Mirkarimi have decided is now ready to be introduced
as final legislation. So technically, these ordinances are brand new and
will not have been introduced until tomorrow (Tuesday, Apr 17)
> 4. Summary of the legislation?

The Implementation Ordinance will make use of a new state law passed in
2002, which allows individual California communities to withdraw from
purchasing power from their private electricity providers (in our case
PG&E) and become a buying co-op known as a Community Choice Aggregator,
which is empowered to make its own electricity purchasing contracts. The
City and County of San Francisco will use this new Community Choice
status to contract with an energy provider which will make electricity
purchases for the community as directed by the City, and most
importantly, will construct sufficient wind, solar and efficiency
projects such that, by 2020, the City will be meeting over 50% of its
overall electricity demands through local renewable electricity production.
> 5. Couple of quotes (Ann already sent one).

Eric Brooks, Co-Chair of the San Francisco Green Party Sustainability
Working Group said "With the newest science on global warming showing
that all industrial countries like the U.S. will need to cut our CO2
emissions 90% by the year 2030 in order to avoid a global catastrophic
climate collapse, it is absolutely vital that the Board of Supervisors
pass the Community Choice renewable energy project immediately. The
looming crisis also makes clear that no City on Earth should be planning
to build any new fossil fuel power plants, and the Supervisors should
immediately move to cancel the San Francisco Public Utilities
Commission's plans to spend over 140 million dollars in public money to
install a polluting, CO2 belching, natural gas power plant, in the
Bayview Hunters Point neighborhood. That money should be dedicated to
San Francisco's solar, wind and other renewable energy projects instead."

cheers

Eric