[Sustain] My Piece On Agro-fuels (& Tallow)

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sat Dec 1 12:22:01 PST 2007

I would be strongly opposed to that latter proposal for two reasons.

1) It could create a dependence and increase is developing energy from
animal agriculture, and could greatly increase the public acceptance of
animal agriculture by giving it a green cloak. It would likely even give
a financial boost to animal agriculture because demand (and therefore
price) for tallow for biodiesel plants might become greatly increased by
skyrocketing petroleum prices. Animal agriculture is one of the most
prolific generators of green house gasses; and also creates destruction
of land and water quality in ways that further strongly deepen the
climate crisis. So, it is crucial to steer strongly away from animal
agriculture, and of course to concurrently get as many people to go
vegetarian and vegan as possible to make a major multi-spectrum impact
on the current planetary environmental collapse.

2) As a strong animal rights activist, I find it further, ethically and
ecologically unacceptable to get energy from the killing of non-human
animals. We went through this once already with whales (for their oil).
Let's not repeat that scenario on land.

By the way, another note on all of this that is never considered with
both tallow and vegetable waste oil is that even these promote
unnecessary consumer choices (for example eating deep fried foods) which
we should be trying to steer consumers away from; both for public health
reasons, and most importantly, because the extensive use of land to grow
crops for oil and fat (which is then only thrown out after use) also
creates massive green house gas emissions. These emissions are likely
profound enough to make the supposed global warming mitigating impacts
of reprocessing waste oils and fats non-existent.

It is for this final reason that I am flatly opposed to all biofuels,
even those from waste grease and oil.

We could argue that at least tightly packed cities should make use of
waste grease and oil to reduce health impacts from diesel pollutants.
But it would be better to get rid of those impacts completely with
electric transportation and construction systems.

If we proceed with the SF biofuels program at all, we should narrowly
target the use of that fuel to the worst emitters of diesel fumes,
specifically, construction equipment; and make the program temporary,
with the intention of phasing it out as actual renewable replacements
come on line.

peace

Eric Brooks

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." -- Che Guevara