[Sustain] Leno Measure On Nuke Plant Renewal

Don Eichelberger done7777 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jun 5 01:46:45 PDT 2007

At 09:50 AM 6/3/2007, Eric Brooks wrote:
>Hey all,
>
>Odd development below in light of the fact that Leno just passed PG&E
>and Mayor Newsom friendly solar legislation.
>
>Keep in mind though that it only delays re-licensing until the
>California Environment Commission (a very corporate co-opted agency)
>completes a study on the matter.
>
>Eric

Eric, et al-

Members of the coalition I have been working with that has been
growing up around this issue have been looking for help in Sacramento
to get this evaluation completed, and have approached Leno to carry
the legislation, which he is.

Below is a letter of support for the legislation that we are trying
to get groups and individuals to send.

I would like the Sustainability working group to send one.

Don

Assemblyman Mark Leno
P.O. Box 942849
Sacramento, CA 95814

Dear Assembly Leno,

We are writing in support of AB 1046 to require that the California
Energy Commission's analysis be complete, adopted and implemented
before the state's nuclear utilities can use further ratepayer
funding for license renewal preparation or applications.

Last year the state unanimously passed AB 1632 [R. Blakeslee, San
Luis Obispo] mandating a cost, benefit and risk analysis of the
state's dependence on nuclear reactors designed in the 1960's and
sited in seismically active coastal zones. The Governor signed the
bill and the evaluation is set to begin this July.

In the meantime PG&E has received approval for an in-house study for
license renewal that we strongly believe should wait until the
California Energy Commission has completed, adopted and implemented
its in depth and independent review of these issues.

Therefore we are in full support of AB 1046 requiring the completion
of the state's analysis and ask California's legislators to approve
this step towards responsible energy planning for California's future
generation needs.

We thank you for addressing the CPUC's short-sighted decision and for
your foresight in understanding that absent an independent and
in-depth review of all costs, benefits and risks there could be
substantial economic impacts to our state and questionable
reliability from reactors designed in the 1960's.

We thank you for presenting this bill

Sincerely,

Your
name