[Sustain] [SFGP-A] Next Sustainability WG meeting 3/22

Cal Broomhead broomhead at igc.org
Sat Mar 24 19:14:05 PDT 2007

Thanks for the email.

A note: yes, putting all your electric equipment on power strips and
turning them off when ever you can is a great idea to save - I've heard
estimates of 10-15% depending on how much electronic gear you have.  My
kids use the power switch as the off button on most of our equipment -
microwave, TV, stereo, etc. However, unplugging your refrigerator may not
work, or may work very well, if you are vegan and eat almost everything
perishable within a a few days.  Maybe you have already had a discussion
about this idea, then read no further... but for non-vegans especially, I
recommend a thermometer that reads as low as 35 degrees F, and check.  Food
starts to spoil at 42 or so degrees - at least that, I think, is the number
I have seen in the literature.  If the seal on your refer is leaking, or
the door is opened during the night (a roomie on a midnight raid), the temp
might climb and your lettuce may start to brown and the beans start to get
slimey - maybe just a little that you wouldn't know when you eat it, but a
few hours later may reveal evidence that it spoiled just a bit - I have had
that experience.  Put the thermometer inside, turn it off, and check the
temp in the morning.

A safer approach might be to ask your landlord for an Energy Star
refrigerator.  The landlord is allowed to put the amortized cost onto your
rent, but the savings will far outstrip the rent increase and you will be
way ahead - and you won't have to fear those beans.

Cal Broomhead
broomhead at igc.org