[Sustain] Price: Renewable vs Fossil - With Big Caution On Waste Methane

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sat Nov 3 15:23:02 PDT 2007

This great information!

I do have one big caution however on waste methane.

Since the CO2 that would result from burning waste methane is persistent
in the atmosphere for centuries longer than free methane itself, even
though methane is a much more powerful greenhouse gas, the resulting C02
will actually generate more global warming than that which would result
from just releasing the methane directly into the air. So, we should not
promote directly burning waste methane.

Instead, we should capture waste methane, split it into hydrogen, and
then either burn the hydrogen in fuel cells and/or pipe the hydrogen to
communities for heating and cooking.

cheers

Eric Brooks

posted by: rfreeh <rfreeh123 at sbcglobal.net>

The following assume private investors own the facilities.