[Sustain] Fwd: Big Oil Pushing Dems to Vote for Anti-Environment NAFTA Expansion

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Tue Oct 16 16:25:03 PDT 2007

/does this e-mail look wrong, or can you not read it at all? *click
here*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=41LkIPRDenaSNdNjzmm0WtYFE99NMTVZ>/

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ZHXDo5gzBgwW%2BYHijFDKztYFE99NMTVZ>

*Action Alert --- October 16, 2007*

*How _NOT_ to solve global warming: NAFTA for the Amazon!*

*Take action to save the Amazon!*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Fzh4tO8IjgvOYDIisDbJwNYFE99NMTVZ>
Democratic leadership has promised to bring Big Oil's dream trade deal -
the Peru NAFTA expansion - up for a vote by the end of October. We've
got to stop them.

<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Ow5E3L0jsbs9%2FDrmxVggVtYFE99NMTVZ>

Dear Supporter,

When Big Oil companies are going full steam on a stealth lobbying
mission for more access to the Amazon, it doesn't take a geological
engineering degree to realize that whatever they are pushing is probably
bad for the environment.

So, it's more than a little disturbing that Democrats in Congress are
scheduling a vote on one of Big Oil's top legislative priorities - an
expansion of NAFTA to the South American country of Peru that would give
them powerful new rights to ravage the endangered Amazon rainforest.

Indigenous leaders from the Peruvian Amazon are in Washington, DC right
now urging the U.S. Congress to save their Amazon rainforest home and
help stop global warming by defeating the Bush administration's proposed
NAFTA expansion.[1] But they need our help!

*Please urge your representatives in Congress to save the Amazon from
Big Oil's Peru NAFTA scheme - and vote NO on HR 3688, the Peru "free
trade" agreement (Peru FTA).*

Take action here:
*http://action.citizen.org/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=17124*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=o7HLLqUSlq26vShL6Tu8fyND2j1hwnvX>

Bush's NAFTA expansion to Peru, which would extend NAFTA's most
environment-ravaging provisions to cover the upper Amazon basin, is at
the top of the agenda for multinational oil companies like
Chevron-Texaco, a co-chair of the U.S.-Peru Trade Coalition.[2]

The Peru deal includes new rights for Big Oil that extend even beyond
NAFTA's awful provisions. The proposed pact would empower multinational
oil and gas to drag Peru's government to World Bank tribunals to demand
compensation for changes to the corporations' exploration and
exploitation contracts that could undermine their "expected future
profits." What this means is that the Peru FTA would allow these firms
to crush measures Peru's government might take to protect the Amazon
rainforest.

Big Oil is well aware of this hidden provision in the Peru FTA. In fact,
they call it a "significant improvement" over other trade deals in an
official report for Bush's energy industry corporate advisory committee
on trade.[3]

*Locking in Oil Company Leases:* When negotiations on the trade deal
started back in 2004, only 13 percent of Peru's Amazon was zoned for oil
and gas exploration and exploitation. The last two governments have now
opened over 65 percent of the region, including national parks and other
ostensibly protected areas. The FTA's new foreign investor protections
would help lock in this outrage, even if a new pro-environment
government were elected in Peru - granting Big Oil the world's most
important rainforest as its private Monopoly board game.

Multinational oil companies involved in Peru include *Occidental*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3g3XZfGCVo1ai7C79WqaNdYFE99NMTVZ>
and *ConocoPhillips*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=55lAW%2FeEx1C6vShL6Tu8fyND2j1hwnvX>,
whose political action committees have been layering the campaign
donations on to the same members of the U.S. Congress who will be voting
on the deal.

Click the image for a larger version:
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=FdSW8yhtHRu6vShL6Tu8fyND2j1hwnvX>

In a *recent letter*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=G%2B5TYT8NhtcmUeO%2FhzL8xNYFE99NMTVZ>
to the U.S. Congress, environmental groups that work on protecting the
Amazon rainforest wrote:

/Given the challenges that the world faces to stem global warming, we
simply cannot afford to advance trade agreements that we are certain
will result in the deforestation of critical tropical rainforests./

In short, Big Oil's Peru NAFTA push will help heat up the planet and
reduce our energy independence.

The Peru FTA is slated for a vote before the end of October, so we need
to move fast. Please act now to make sure your Representative and both
of your Senators know where you stand!

Take action here:
*http://action.citizen.org/campaign.jsp?campaign_KEY=17124*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5iS5byzSYzCFCDbeeVK4G9YFE99NMTVZ>

And please, please send this email to all of your friends. If we want to
make progress on climate change, we can't let the new Congress cave in
to Big Oil by passing trade agreements that help lock in the very
policies we know must be changed.

Thank you for all that you do,

David Edeli
Global Trade Watch Division
Public Citizen

[1] "Los pueblos indigenas no quieren el TLC,"
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ITsQ3k1kKdKSNdNjzmm0WtYFE99NMTVZ>
/La Republica/, October 11, 2007, /Seccion Economia/, p.14.
[2] See the Latin America Trade Coalition website
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=3tPhUdRc2%2B4W%2BYHijFDKztYFE99NMTVZ>.
[3] "The U.S. - Peru Free Trade Agreement (FTA),"
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qpVLPdo9gI7OYDIisDbJwNYFE99NMTVZ>
Report of the Industry Trade Advisory Committee on Energy and Energy
Services (ITAC 6), January 2006. (PDF)

*About GTW*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4d7F2fe0jw49%2FDrmxVggVtYFE99NMTVZ>   |   *Contact
Us*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=cxKMYj2pAfcHFsi3g%2FWr8tYFE99NMTVZ>   |   *Write
Your Rep*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=w1w4hTdD7V9ai7C79WqaNdYFE99NMTVZ>   |   *Support
Us*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=SsZSCrJeYeVI8EonFganCNYFE99NMTVZ>

Stay informed and speak out when it counts. *Sign up for the Public
Citizen Action Network*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=nQwfN5aKM5AL4%2FLHOy1%2FmtYFE99NMTVZ>
or other online announcements. If you do not wish to receive e-mail
messages from Public Citizen in the future, please *click here*
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=CfRn2h8NdxcmUeO%2FhzL8xNYFE99NMTVZ>.

Public Citizen employees are members of SEIU Local 500. We support the
rights of
workers in the United States and around the world to organize freely.
Union Yes!

Copyright © 2007 Public Citizen. All Rights Reserved
215 Pennsylvania Ave. SE, 3rd Floor
Washington, DC 20003