[Sustain] Our City: Voter Guide, Solar/Wind Powered SF, Stop Fossil Fuel Plant & Pollution In Bayview

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Tue Oct 23 13:06:04 PDT 2007

*Our City Update

Voter Guide 2007, Solar & Wind Power, Stopping Fossil Fuel Plants &
Toxic Waste In SF*
*
1 - Voter Guide For November: Critical Votes On Transit & Parking
2 - 50% Solar & Wind Power For San Francisco!
3 - Stopping Another Fossil Fuel Plant In San Francisco
4 - CORE REPORT: Bayview Under Siege - The Toxic Corporate Attack On Our
Most Polluted Neighborhood
5 - The Past Year's Election Victories
*
NOTE: This Update and Voter Guide can be directly accessed online.
(Mozilla/Netscape users view PDF version.)
- See the Update (PDF version) at http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07.pdf
or the web version at http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07.htm
- See the printable half page Voter Guide (PDF) at
http://our-city.org/Voteguide-Nov07.pdf or the web version at
http://our-city.org/Voteguide-Nov07.htm

(If you have trouble with these or any of the links below, go to the Our
City home page at http://our-city.org and follow the links on the
lefthand side entitled *Voter Guide*, and (under Updates) *Fall 2007:
Stopping Fossil Fuel Plants & Toxic Waste In SF*.)

*Top Stories

**1 - Voter Guide For November: Critical Votes On Transit & Parking*
This November, two critical local measures on Mass Transit and Parking
are on the Ballot. Proposition H is an extremely bad, pro-automobile
measure (sponsored by corporate conservatives) which will vastly
increase parking, gridlock, pollution and greenhouse gases in San
Francisco. Proposition A is a grassroots initiative that will increase
funding for cleaner mass transit, and will strike down Prop H if it
passes. *Vote NO on H! and YES on A!**
*See our entire 2007 Voter Guide at (PDF)
http://our-city.org/Voteguide-Nov07.pdf or (web)
http://our-city.org/Voteguide-Nov07.htm

*2 - 50% Solar & Wind Power For San Francisco!
*In June 2007, the San Francisco Board of Supervisors passed the
Community Choice renewable energy project, which will run San Francisco
on 50% solar and wind power within the next decade, and will end San
Francisco's century long dependence on PG&E's polluting corporate energy
monopoly. See the full report at (PDF)
http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07.pdf or (web)
http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07.htm

*3 - Stopping Another Fossil Fuel Plant In San Francisco
*Even though San Francisco is about to build the largest municipal solar
and wind power project on Earth, the San Francisco Public Utilities
Commission (SFPUC) still has plans to allow a private corporation to
build another polluting natural gas power plant inside the City! And to
make matters worse, the SFPUC plans to let this plant be built in the
Bayview Hunters Point, which is already San Francisco's most polluted
neighborhood. The SFPUC will vote as early as this week on whether or
not to approve the project. Read more about this unacceptable power
plant on page 2 of the Update, (PDF)
http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07.pdf or (web)
http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07_files/page0001.htm  Get more detail and
*Take Action* to stop the plant at http://our-city.org/campaigns/index.html

*4 - CORE REPORT: Bayview Under Siege - The Toxic Corporate Attack On
Our Most Polluted Neighborhood
*For decades, the Bayview Hunters Point neighborhood has suffered
terrible toxic pollution because the U.S. Navy, various corporations,
and the City itself, have been allowed to emit pollutants (including
deadly asbestos) and to dump other toxic and even radioactive wastes in
this community; a community which is, in vast majority, people of color
and low income. Now the City and its Health department is continuing the
toxic assault by allowing Miami based Lennar corporation to further
devastate the Bayview and illegally stir those hazardous chemicals back
up into the atmosphere, as it builds gentrifying market rate and luxury
condos for profit. We, the people of San Francisco, must halt this
outrage immediately. Read the full expose on page 3 of the Update at
(PDF) http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07.pdf or (web)
http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07_files/page0002.htm

*5 - The Past Year's Election Victories
*Over the past year, progressives have won crucial tenant protections,
paid sick days for workers, and mandatory public hearings on chain
stores; have stopped dangerous ballot attacks on the environment and
reproductive choice; and have won critical victories for progressive
education board candidates and Board Supervisors.
See our full report on ballot measure victories on page 1 of the Update,
(PDF) http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07.pdf or (web)
http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07.htm
See our report on the now majority progressive School Board, and other
candidate victories, on page 2 of the Update at (PDF)
http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07.pdf or (web)
http://our-city.org/Update-Oct07_files/page0001.htm

As always, thank you for your continued involvement and action.

peace

Eric Brooks
Campaign Coordinator
Our City

//This update posted by:

Our City
1028-A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA  94103
415-756-8844

For more information about Our City campaigns go to:
http://www.our-city.org
info at our-city.org <mailto:info at our-city.org>
//