[Sustain] Fwd: Financial Arguments Against The Combustion Turbines

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Wed Oct 31 13:03:13 PDT 2007

Right, but Cal ISO is irrelevant since the new 200 megawatts is just as
polluting as the old.

We need to spend our energies on getting the public and the Supes to
realise this. As soon as we have them focused on the diesels as the
actual problem, Cal ISO drops from the picture. They can keep the RMR on
Mirant and it doesn't matter. We don't have to care. Because the diesels
will be forced to close in 2009 regardless.

When you talk to fiscal conservatives, just point out to them that
either way we end up with the same level of pollution by 2010, but under
the CT option we pay $200-$500 million more dollars in City money.
However a solution to just build the 34 megawatt capacity to replace the
Mirant diesel turbines will cost considerably less. (It will cost -zero-
if Cal ISO is forced to admit that the Transbay Cable is enough to cover
that much smaller amount of in-city generation.)

If we simply do nothing and just wait until 2010, my guess is that the
diesels will be forced to shut down and neither Cal ISO nor Mirant will
upgrade them.

If someone comes back at you and says 'But Mirant will get another water
quality waver to keep running while destroying the Bay.', just respond
with 'Water quality upgrades would cost only a few tens of millions. The
City could just pay for the water emission upgrades with 1/5th of  the
money we would have spent on the CTs.'

cheers

Eric

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." – Che Guevara