[Sustain] Trees and carbon offsets

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Tue Sep 25 14:27:05 PDT 2007

Hi all

Though the Audubon report makes some important points it is far too
simplistic and overstated, and even incorrect, in many aspects.

For example, in its 'above ground/below ground' hypothesis it is totally
neglecting to include the vast amount of carbon stored in the soil of
mature natural forests as root systems proliferate and trees/vegetation
die and get subsumed into that forest floor. Nor does it account for the
massive amount of carbon permanently stored in large mature trees, which
is essentially 'below ground'.

However, it would be totally legitimate to point out that although
mature forests store huge amounts of carbon that would otherwise reach
the atmosphere, forest maturity takes so long to develop that it won't
happen fast enough with current newly restored forest watersheds to
fully address the -immediate- climate crisis that is threatening us over
the next three decades. (So in the short term, indigenous prairie
restoration could give us more bang for the buck.) But, for long term
climate stability it is critical that we restore natural forests to a
massive degree; both in the tropics -and- temperate latitudes.

The report also totally fails to account for an entire holistic cycle of
what a forest watershed accomplishes. Yes, temperate forests in cooler
climates do absorb heat, but in mountainous terrains they are also
critical to securing the soil and keeping water from rapidly running off
of higher elevations when there is no solid forest soil to act as a
sponge and stabilizer. So deforested highlands actually promote -more-
warming because without them there is no way to stabilize the snow pack
in those highlands. The snow then melts and runs off. The mountains turn
to hard pack desert and brushland, and since the snow pack is gone, a
vast reflector of heat back up into the atmosphere is lost.

So restoration of forests is vital to even short term climate crisis
solutions in that respect. Furthermore this water storage effect is
especially critical in -all- areas of the planet, to creating the
general sponge, wind break, and cooling effect that will ensure the
proper storage and preservation of water sources and snow pack that
would otherwise rapidly run off into the oceans. And of course, one of
the key crises that we are facing with climate change is dramatic water
loss and run-off. So restoring -all- forests, everywhere on Earth, is
absolutely -key- to addressing even the -immediate- climate crisis.

Keep in mind that Audubon is a partly corporate funded, and very middle
of the road group that often puts out such short sighted analysis, and
sometimes even foolishly supports activities that are -bad- for the
environment.

Still, the point about forest plantations is right on, and those
plantations will -increase- global warming if allowed into the equation
because they are basically fertilized, pesticided crops just like any
other crop, and lead to loss of strong forest soils and water/snow
retention as noted above; this because trees as crops deplete soil and
land stability just as any other mono-crops do, until finally crop
forest land can't support mature forests any longer and can even
permanently collapse to desert or other diminished flat land.

peace

Eric Brooks

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." -- Che Guevara