[Sustain] Vote on introduction of resolutions? Public Comment Allowed On Tuesday

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sat Apr 12 13:37:53 PDT 2008

Supervisors are allowed to introduce measures directly to the Board on
the Adoption Without Committee Reference calendar, especially when they
are considered urgent. So Alioto-Pier has rightly put forward these
resolutions in order to block the very imminent ICC contract.

Public comment is allowed on such unheard measures during general public
comment before the Board, which precedes the 'Without Committee
Reference' agenda.

Then, there are two possible results. Any supervisor can autonomously
send the measures to committee without interference, or, if no
supervisor so moves, there will be a vote on the items.

Regardless, this our key moment to show the full Board of Supervisors
that the entire Bayview, and environmental community, are strongly
opposed to the combustion turbine plants.

We must swamp the Board with comments on Tuesday.

peace

Eric Brooks

asumchai at sfbayview.com wrote:
>> How can they vote on resolutions that are being introduced and have not
>>
> been heard in committee. Please clarify!   Ahimsa
>

>  Hi again all,
>
>> One more crucial note on the alert below: These items are open for
>> public comment at the full Board of Supervisors on Tuesday, because they
>> will be on the 'adoption without committee reference' calendar. Everyone
>> should turn out for this critical hearing - Tuesday, April 15, SF City
>> Hall, Room 250. Public comment begins on or shortly after 3pm. The votes
>> on the items will follow. (To see the meeting agenda go to:
>> http://www.sfgov.org/site/bdsupvrs_page.asp?id=78792 )
>>
>> previously I wrote:
>>
>> **Call City Hall To Fight Global Warming & Stop Polluting Plants**
>>
>> The San Francisco Public Utilities Commission (SFPUC) is about to send
>> the worst possible message to our entire planet in the throes of a dire
>> climate crisis, by making San Francisco the only major city in the U.S.
>> to build a new polluting fossil fuel power plant! The plant is known as
>> the Combustion Turbine Project, and two resolutions to halt its
>> construction will be voted on by the San Francisco Board of Supervisors
>> this Tuesday, April 15th. (See 'What You Can Do' further below.)
>>
>> A recently passed Community Choice renewable energy measure (which will
>> bring San Francisco 50% solar and wind power within the next decade),
>> and a new power transmission cable from the Northeast with enough
>> capacity to meet half of San Francisco's daily electricity needs, make
>> this polluting plant completely unnecessary. The SFPUC plans to site the
>> Combustion Turbine plant in the already heavily polluted and
>> economically marginalized Bayview Hunters Point district, which is 40%
>> African American, and has high concentrations of other people of color
>> and low income residents. (For more information see
>> http://our-city.org/campaigns/index.html )
>>
>> What You Can Do:
>>
>> Contact Supervisors McGoldrick and Ammiano today and strongly urge them
>> to support the two resolutions that will halt the Combustion Turbine
>> Project, and insist on the creation of a new 21st century energy plan
>> for San Francisco which will no longer depend on fossil fuel power plants.
>>
>> Call:
>>
>> Supervisor Jake McGoldrick  415-554-7410  and
>> Supervisor Tom Ammiano  415-554-5144
>>
>> Sample Message To Stop The Power Plant:
>>
>> "Please strongly support Supervisor Alioto-Pier's resolutions to demand
>> independent studies of the Combustion Turbine Project and to create a
>> new 2008 energy plan for San Francisco."
>>
>> Thanks for your action and support!
>>
>> Eric Brooks
>> Campaign Coordinator
>> Our City
>>
>> ////This alert sent by:////
>>
>> //Our City
>> 1028-A Howard St.
>> San Francisco, CA  94103
>> 415-756-8844
>>
>> For more information about Our City campaigns go to:
> [...]

"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." -- Che Guevara