[Sustain] [SFGP-A] Join Vital Rally To Stop Polluting Power Plants In SF! Next Mon, May 5, 9-10am, SF City Hall (Polk St. Steps)

pamndave at speakeasy.net pamndave at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 28 15:30:34 PDT 2008

I second Rita's remarks.

Eric: Thank you for being out there on the front lines & for alerting
the rest of us to what's important.

David

On Mon Apr 28 14:29 , Rita Goldberger  sent:

>Hi Eric,     This email prompted me to tell you what I've been
thinking  some time, which is to thank you for keeping us current
with San Francisco political activity.  I am so busy with  my work and
church that I don't often have time to attend  these events, but I am
so grateful that you, and a handful  of others, keep us posted.  We're
going to start building an  infrastructure in the Sunset to respond to
this kind of  activity, and we will depend on you, and others like
you,  to warn us when we need to activate it.     Rita Goldberger
Rita Goldberger

>Eric Brooks <brookse32 at aim.com> wrote:  Hi all,
>
>This is an urgent moment in San Francisco and
> world history.
>
>Though nearly every major environmental and social justice group has
voiced strong opposition to the building of new fossil fuel power
plants in San Francisco, next Monday, May 5th, our Public Utilities
Commission (SFPUC) will outrageously seek permission to build a
polluting natural gas power plant in San Francisco within the next
year. Worse still, if approved, this plant will be built in our most
environmentally damaged and vulnerable neighborhood, the Bayview
Hunters Point. Meanwhile, new reports surface nearly every week that
the Global Warming crisis is becoming much more serious, much more
rapidly than previously believed, and our entire planet is in danger.

>Unfortunately, Mayor Gavin Newsom and our Board of Supervisors are
wavering, and have still not come out in majority opposition to this
disastrous power plant! This means that the plant construction could
be approved as early as next week.

>It is absolutely critical that we
> turn out in huge numbers on the City Hall Polk Street steps next
Monday May 5, from 9-10am, to show the Mayor and Board of Supervisors
that San Franciscans will not tolerate further inaction, and that we
demand that this unacceptable power plant project be stopped
immediately. We must send a message to the world that San Francisco
has decided to lead the planet to a clean energy future by permanently
halting all plans to build fossil fuel power plants.

>COME TO THE RALLY!
>
>WHERE: San Francisco City Hall, Polk Street steps, (from Civic Center
BART/MUNI at 8th and Market, cross United Nations Plaza to the City
Hall steps)

>WHEN: Monday, May 5, 9-10am
>
>WHO: Join Our City, Sierra Club, The Ella Baker Center For Human
Rights, Greenaction, The San Francisco Green Party, Brightline
Defense, EDF, SPUR, The San Francisco Bayview, and many other groups,
to demand an end to fossil fuel plants in San Francisco.

>BRING SIGNS!: If you can take a moment,
> also make your own sign that expresses how you feel about this
alarming power plant project and its potentially terrible impact on
our community and the world.

>BRING FRIENDS!: Bring everyone you know who cares about the future of
San Francisco and the planet!

>ATTEND THE HEARING: Directly following the rally, a City Hall
committee will likely vote on the power plant contract. Join other
ralliers to attend this hearing and voice your opinion to the Board of
Supervisors. (The hearing location and agenda will be announced at the
end of the rally.)

>For more information, see http://our-city.org/campaigns/index.html
>
>Thanks for your action and support!
>
>Eric Brooks
>Campaign Coordinator
>Our City
>This alert sent by:    Our City  1028-A Howard St.  San Francisco,
CA  94103  415-756-8844    For more information about
> Our City campaigns go to:  http://www.our-city.org  info at our-
city.org
>--   "I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people
liberate themselves." – Che