[Sustain] NYC Transit Proposal Would Make Buses/Rail Largely Free & Still Gain Revenue

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sat Dec 27 16:17:22 PST 2008

Hey all,

There's a very interesting new proposal for fees and funding for autos
and mass transit in New York City which would make buses and rail
transit nearly free while still gaining large revenues for the entire
New York transportation system.

The proponents have crunched numbers and compiled spread sheets and
projections to back up their assumptions.

I'm not sure whether this model could be directly transfered to San
Francisco, but it is worth looking at for a concept to switch to free
mass transit without losing any revenue.
(The taxi surcharge looks a bit daunting, but would be feasible and
necessary because of a sharp increase in taxi use that would otherwise
result under the plan if there were no surcharge.)

To get started on the basics go to:
http://nnyn.org/kheelplan/kheel_plan2.html

Or if you receive information better by hearing it described verbally go to:
http://www.kpfa.org/archives/index.php?arch=30139
and fast forward the program to the 14 min, 15 sec mark, to hear an
interview with one of the project's proponents.

cheers

Eric

 --
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." – Che Guevara