[Sustain] Fwd: Naive Fog City Report On Bogus Hunters Point Clean-Up

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Fri Jan 4 13:21:03 PST 2008

http://www.fogcityjournal.com/news_in_brief/pr_hunters_point_cleanup_funding_080103.shtml

  Pelosi, Feinstein, Newsom announce federal funding
  for Hunters Point shipyard cleanup

    Newsom says redevelopment will not result in gentrification

San Francisco Mayor Gavin Newsom, Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senator
Dianne Feinstein today announced $82 million in federal funding for the
toxic clean up
of the Hunters Point Shipyard superfund site.
*Photos by Luke Thomas
<http://www.fogcityjournal.com/profiles/profile_luke_thomas.shtml>*

*By Luke Thomas
<http://www.fogcityjournal.com/profiles/profile_luke_thomas.shtml>*

      January 3, 2008

Joined by Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Senator Dianne Feinsten, Mayor Gavin
Newsom today announced $82 million in federal funding for the toxic
cleanup of the Hunters Point Shipyard superfund site.

"This is a huge victory for San Francisco in general and the Bayview
Hunters Point Community in particular," Newsom said. "With these funds
in hand, the City will be able to continue moving forward with its plans
to transform the long-shuttered Shipyard from a environmental blight on
the community into a world-class location providing waterfront parks,
thousands of jobs, affordable housing and a major clean technology campus."

Mayor Newsom, who made several trips to Washington D.C. in the past year
to persuade federal officials that the cleanup of the Shipyard should be
a major priority for the federal delegation, praised the work of Speaker
Nancy Pelosi and Senator Dianne Feinstein in securing the cleanup money
for the Shipyard.

"At a time when the Department of Defense is spending less and less
money every year cleaning up closed, toxic military bases, this level of
funding is truly remarkable," Newsom said. "It is a testament to the
strong leadership and commitment of Speaker Pelosi and Senator Feinstein
to get the Shipyard cleaned up on time and in a manner that will allow
us to implement the community's vision for revitalizing the City's
southeastern waterfront."

The federal funds will be used to prepare over 100 acres of land at the
Shipyard for transfer to the City at no cost, including land slated for
new housing, parks and approximately 25 acres for a potential site for a
new stadium for the San Francisco 49ers.

Asked what assurances he could provide to the Bayview Hunters Point
community to allay fears of gentrification due to redevelopment, Newsom
told Fog City Journal: "That's why 42 percent of the work being done is
being done by local builders on Parcel A. That's why 30 percent of all
the housing that's being developed out here on Parcel A is affordable
housing. That's why we're rebuilding public housing units, one-to-one
replacement, and providing mixed-income opportunities for people at all
income levels by rebuilding public housing. That's why we're including
protections and provisions that are very similar for the rest of the
project."

"One thing I will not do is sit back and do nothing, and continue to see
the rates of prostate cancer, breast cancer, cervical cancer rise in the
southeast sector - and asthma rates - because we didn't have the courage
to actually step up and actually get something done. And that's
something I'm very proud that we've advanced," Newsom said.

####

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." -- Che Guevara