[Sustain] Mayor Cuts Leah Shahum From MTA

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Wed Jan 9 11:33:15 PST 2008

The Mayor just got rid of a strong alternative transportation advocate
on the MTA.

See lower down in this SF Guardian Article;

http://www.sfbg.com/printable_entry.php?entry_id=5385

  Heads roll

/Newsom accepts more than two dozen resignation letters/

By Steven T. Jones

In the week leading up to Mayor Gavin Newsom's Jan. 8 second-term
inauguration ceremony, he accepted more than two dozen of the
resignation letters he demanded Sept. 10, 2007, from his senior staff.

"Today I am proud to introduce a new team of 27 people that is a blend
of fresh talent, extensive policy expertise, and proven experience in
government," Newsom wrote in a prepared statement released at 5 p.m. on
Jan. 4, a Friday, which is not considered the spot in the news cycle for
"proud" announcements.

"Other than the very unfortunate firing of Susan Leal from the [general
manager job at the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission] --- who,
by all accounts, has been doing a good job --- the rest of the changes
are fairly perfunctory and far from the bold or audacious move he
promised," Board of Supervisors president Aaron Peskin told us.

Yet the changes --- which the /Guardian/ discusses in more detail in
Editor's Notes, the editorial page, and our politics blog --- do seem to
signal that Newsom is placing a high value on personal loyalty and
political pragmatism.

Some examples are the promotions of inner-circle members Mike Farrah
(new director of the Mayor's Office of Neighborhood Services), Ben
Rosenfield (controller), and Wade Crowfoot (now the newly created
director of climate protection initiatives) and the hiring of former
United States attorney Kevin Ryan, a conservative Republican, to head
the Mayor's Office of Criminal Justice.

But gone are Leal and Metropolitan Transportation Agency board member
Leah Shahum, the San Francisco Bicycle Coalition director who has chided
the mayor for not supporting alternative transportation. "The Mayor's
Office was none too pleased that the SFBC did not endorse him," she told
us, noting that she is urging Newsom to fill the spot with another
advocate for sustainable transportation. "I hope this is not a sign of
what's to come."

Wednesday January 9, 2008

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." -- Che Guevara