[Sustain] MSNBC.com Article: Vermont cows help power 330 homes

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Thu Jan 10 08:47:22 PST 2008

Yup. I have an opinion of 'cow power' and it isn't a good one at all.

First, it gives a dangerous positive image to biofuel/biomass. While it
may be used in this particular case on a non-factory farm, it will so
excite the public and politicians, that every factory farm in the
country will soon end up being equipped for biogas energy production
giving even more profit to the factory farm industry and expanding it;
leading to higher greenhouse gas emissions. (This is very similar to
people getting excited about french fry grease, and then having that
excitement cynically amplified so cleverly by big ag, that Congress
passes massive corn ethanol subsidies.)

Finally, and most importantly, the methane from those farms wouldn't
exist in the first place if we were doing the critical work of getting
people to eat much lower on the food chain (vegetarian/vegan/etc.)
thereby using massively less energy and resources, and cutting the
amount of methane and CO2 produced by agriculture prodigiously.

Remember that methane is 20 times more powerful a greenhouse gas than is
CO2, so the more we promote animal agriculture, literally the deeper
shit we are in; on the ground, in our waterways, and in our atmosphere.

cheers

Eric

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." -- Che Guevara