[Sustain] Turn Out Tomorrow! For 100% Clean Electricity In SF!

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Tue Jul 8 10:39:42 PDT 2008

Hi all,

The final ballot language for the San Francisco Clean Energy Act (for
the November ballot) is nearly complete, and the matter will be taken up
in a special Rules Committee hearing tomorrow at around 2pm. For those
of you who wanted it clarified in the measure that nuclear energy is
-not- clean, it looks like we have prevailed and that this clarification
-will- be in the language. (Attached is an older version of the ballot
draft which doesn't contain this change but will give you a general idea
of what the measure will do.)

PG&E and the Chamber of Commerce will be turning out their troops to
attack this measure, and so it will be vital for as many of us to show
up tomorrow to speak in favor as possible.

The hearing is in Rules Committee, in City Hall Room 263, beginning at
1pm (but the Clean Energy Act is item 8 and probably won't come up for
at least an hour - so be there by 2pm if you can). For full hearing
details see http://www.sfgov.org/site/bdsupvrs_page.asp?id=83910

**Talking Points**

- The latest science shows that an 80% reduction of CO2 emissions by
2050 is NO LONGER either close or fast enough of a reduction to avoid a
major climate and sea level catastrophe. We need 100% clean electricity
as soon as possible!

- The ice caps are melting and polar bears are drowning and PG&E still
only has 13% renewable electricity - and PG&E has admitted it will not
even meet the minimal State requirement of 20% renewables by 2010. So
the only way to get high percentages of clean energy fast enough, is for
us, the people of San Francisco, to take ownership and control of our
own electricity system.

- PG&E has sought permission to build 9 new polluting natural gas power
plants in California and is also trying to build a dangerous, methane
emitting, 200 mile natural gas pipeline from Oregon to California. With
global warming and the price of natural gas skyrocketing just as the
price of oil is doing; it is critical that we dump PG&E and switch
immediately to stable priced and clean, renewables and efficiency, to
meet our energy needs.

- Other California cities that have taken community control of their
electricity systems have far lower rates and can dedicate far more funds
to improving and greening those systems.

- Our utility bills are going -up- because PG&E continues to rely on
volatile priced, polluting natural gas as its energy base. In recent
arguments against clean energy in Marin County, PG&E actual made the
ridiculous claim that natural gas rates will go down, even though
economic indicators are clearly showing that the price of natural gas is
going up! We -must- dump PG&E now and switch to stable priced renewables.

Hope to see you all at the hearing!

peace

Eric

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." – Che Guevara