[Sustain] Call Mayor To -Demand- Permanent Victory Garden

Don Eichelberger done7777 at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 12 19:45:00 PDT 2008

I don't like the Gavin photo op part, but he's
the mayor and will get whatever photos he wants.

But I don't see using city resources to put in a
temporary demo garden as bad, as long as part of
it is aimed at putting in more permanent gardens
in the neighborhoods.  I found Naomi Starkman's
case persuasive, and only hope they will allow
the garden to bear harvest before it is taken
up.  Or at least allow people to adopt the plants to take home.

One day, when the whole city is a bio-garden, it will come back.

Don

At 01:23 PM 7/11/2008, you wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>Gavin Newsom is about to get the most
>hypocritical, fake enviro photo op of his entire
>term in office and we must challenge him -hard- on it this time.
>
>Please read the Guardian blog below and then
>call the Mayor's office of neighborhood services
>at 415-544-7111 to express your outrage at this
>sham, and demand that the City Hall local
>organic Victory Garden be made permanent, not
>ridiculously ripped out two months after it is put in!
>
>Please forward this alert widely!
>
>peace, Eric
>
><http://www.sfbg.com/blogs/politics/2008/07/a_hollow_victory_for_urban_gar.html>http://www.sfbg.com/blogs/politics/2008/07/a_hollow_victory_for_urban_gar.html
>

>A hollow victory for urban gardening movement
>

>When I first heard about current plans to build
>a "Victory Garden" in Civic Center Plaza --
>which will be officially planted tomorrow at 10
>a.m. in a ceremony featuring Mayor Gavin Newsom
>and Alice Waters, the pioneering restaurateur
>who founded <http://slowfoodnation.org/>Slow
>Food Nation -- I thought it was a really cool
>idea. Here was the city of San Francisco giving
>some of its most prime and high profile real
>estate over to the urban gardening movement,
>which seeks alternatives to the fossil fuel
>dependent industrialized food system.
>And the Victory Garden concept is great,
>conjuring up the collective commitment to our
>national interests that inspired patriotic
>citizens to plant gardens during the two world
>wars. Sure, the logistics of tending and
>securing the garden might be tough, but Newsom
>seemed to be making a commitment to put city
>resources behind this important symbolic statement.
>Then I heard that they're going to rip out the
>garden in a couple months, in my mind reducing
>the garden to a mere photo op for our jolly
>green would-be governor. Ick. Just what this
>country needs, another hollow gesture toward
>environmental sustainability rather than the
>bold collective action that we actually need to
>tackle serious problems like climate change,
>resource depletion, and a wasteful, polluting,
>and ineffective global food system.
>
>"While we would love for the garden to be
>permanent,it is true that the Victory Garden is
>temporary, and is being used as a demonstration
>and educational centerpiece for Slow Food
>Nation, taking place over Labor Day Weekend,"
>event spokesperson Naomi Starkman wrote to me
>when I asked about the temporary garden (the
>mayor's press office still hasn't responded to my inquiry).
>She said the Victory Garden project will seek
>out about 15 diverse households to plant more
>permanent gardens, something that it will be
>incorporate into the event in August. And she
>sees value to even having a temporary garden in
>Civic Center Plaza, for which her group is
>covering the roughly $180,000 in costs.
>"The goal and mission of the Victory Garden is
>to spur to action the future of urban food
>production. By having the support of the City,
> [...]

Don Eichelberger
DJ Fix Independent Productions

My Blog
www.greenuprising.blogspot.com

My You Tube
<http://www.youtube.com/DonnyFix>http://www.youtube.com/DonnyFix

My Space

http://www.myspace.com/donnyfix

Donny Fix del.icio.us book marks

http://del.icio.us/donnyfix

The Hegelian/Marxist goal is emancipation.  Marx said it best in 1843:

"Human emancipation wll only be complete when the
real, individual man (sic) is absorbed into
himself the abstract citizen; when as an
individual man, in his every day life, in his
work and in his relationships, he has become a
species-being (politically accountabe to the
whole); and when he recognizes and realizes his
own power as social powers, so that he no  longer
separates this social power from himself as political power."