[Sustain] Real Estate Interests Tainted Taskforce Peaker Decisions

Don Eichelberger done7777 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 15 22:15:45 PDT 2008

Eric-

Overall a good letter.  But I would have edited out some of the more
rhetorical references i.e. "unconscionably weighed" property
values  and "other highly unethical real estate shenanigans".

A letter is to be read by those you send it to.  It's not an alert
you are sending to the committed. They may trash it, anyway, but I
usually try not to offer them the easy excuse.  They need to feel
like they decided a deal is unconscionable or an unethical
shenanigan, we just need to make the case strongly, intelligently and
concisely, and trust the message will get through.

For future reference,

Don

At 09:35 AM 7/15/2008, Eric Brooks wrote:
>Written to the Board of Supervisors on July 15, 2008:
>
>Dear Supervisors,
>
>On July 1, 2008 in a meeting of the SF Public Utilities Commission
>Citizens' Advisory Subcommittee on Energy, it was revealed by a member
>of the Power Plant Taskforce, Mr. Joe Boss, that property values
>affecting real estate values in Potrero Hill and at Pier 70 were a big
>factor in the Taskforce's decision to push for the Combustion Turbine
>'Peaker' Project. There are landholders and developers who would be
>enriched by the rapid closure of the existing Mirant facility, which
>would raise property values in the area.
>
>Mr. Boss is a private real estate consultant himself with personal
>financial interests of his own in that area and said openly that real
>estate values were involved in the Taskforce power plant decisions.
>
>This is the first open confirmation that Taskforce members
>unconscionably weighed property values against the health and survival
>of residents in the Bayview Hunters Point who would be heavily impacted
>by pollution from the proposed Peaker project.
>
>The Subcommittee meeting was recorded, and Mr. Boss can be heard making
>his comments about property values in the following section:
>http://www.brightlinedefense.org/files/mp3/july_1_cac_joe_boss_discusses_real_estate_and_cts.mp3
>
>This is not the only time that Mr. Boss has been found to be
>inappropriately using a position of authority to enrich real estate
>interests, and even his own family and friends. The November 2007
>edition of the Potrero View newspaper, on pages 1 and 20, reveals Boss's
>direct involvement in other highly unethical real estate shenanigans
>surrounding a redevelopment project in exactly the same geographical
>area of town. You can read the Potrero View edition in question by going
>to http://www.potreroview.net/archive.html
>and clicking on the November 2007 link:
>http://www.potreroview.net/Archives/PV_Nov_2007.pdf
>
>Finally, it was also revealed in the same Subcommittee meeting that both
>SFPUC GM Harrington, and SFPUC Deputy GM for Power Barbara Hale have now
>stated openly that a proposed Mirant diesel turbine retrofit would be
>-less- polluting than the proposed combustion turbine project.
>
>A section of the meeting audio in which Hale and others discuss this is at:
>http://www.brightlinedefense.org/files/mp3/july_1_2008_sfpuc_cac_comparative_emissions.mp3
>
>In light of these new facts, I would strongly urge you to finally and
>permanently reject the ICC Combustion Turbine project and any other such
>project that would use the Williams Combustion Turbines to build any new
>power plants in San Francisco.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Eric Brooks
>SF Green Party &
>STOPPP Coalition

Don Eichelberger
DJ Fix Independent Productions

My Blog
www.greenuprising.blogspot.com

My You Tube
<http://www.youtube.com/DonnyFix>http://www.youtube.com/DonnyFix

My Space

http://www.myspace.com/donnyfix

Donny Fix del.icio.us book marks

http://del.icio.us/donnyfix

The Hegelian/Marxist goal is emancipation.  Marx said it best in 1843:

"Human emancipation wll only be complete when the real, individual
man (sic) is absorbed into himself the abstract citizen; when as an
individual man, in his every day life, in his work and in his
relationships, he has become a species-being (politically accountabe
to the whole); and when he recognizes and realizes his own power as
social powers, so that he no  longer separates this social power from
himself as political power."