[Sustain] Aging Water Infrastructure

Mato Ska m_zehr at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 21 20:15:41 PDT 2008

Not addressing this and providing funding and financing leaves the door wide open to privatization.

Mato Ska

Aging Infrastructure

Volume 5 Number 2
March/April 2006

Today’s typical municipal water infrastructure includes a patchwork of smaller systems built by other entities and subsequently acquired by the utility. Many are very old, built with no or inferior standards. California’s extensive levee system was developed similarly. Most of our big dams are now 50 to 100 years old. Our water infrastructure is starting to crumble. Often, funds are insufficient for even routine maintenance, so utilities and relief agencies can only respond to disasters as they happen. And we can expect more disasters if the situation is not addressed. In this issue we take a realistic look at the problem, what can be done, and how much it might cost.

Download entire issue  http://www.swhydro.arizona.edu/archive/V5_N2/SWHVol5Issue2.pdf    (PDF - 7 Mb)

Download by section (PDF):

 *   Cover & Table of Contents  http://www.swhydro.arizona.edu/archive/V5_N2/cover_toc.pdf
 *   Features

    *   Who is Watching Our Infrastructure?
http://www.swhydro.arizona.edu/archive/V5_N2/feature1.pdf

       *   Gerald Galloway

    *   ASCE Assessment: Water Infrastructure Needs Attention
http://www.swhydro.arizona.edu/archive/V5_N2/feature2.pdf

       *   Mary Black

    *   The Flood Crisis in California’s Central Valley
http://www.swhydro.arizona.edu/archive/V5_N2/feature3.pdf

       *   Leslie F. Harder, Jr.

    *   Issues of Aging Infrastructure: the Tucson Experience
http://www.swhydro.arizona.edu/archive/V5_N2/feature4.pdf

       *   Mitchell Basefsky

    *   Cooperation Key to Reclamtion’s Future Water Works
http://www.swhydro.arizona.edu/archive/V5_N2/feature5.pdf

       *   John Keys III

    *   The Challenge of Utility Infrastructure Funding and Financing
http://www.swhydro.arizona.edu/archive/V5_N2/feature6.pdf

       *   Tom Gould

    *   Upgrading an Aging Roosevelt Dam
http://www.swhydro.arizona.edu/archive/V5_N2/feature7.pdf