[Sustain] [SFGP-A] Important! Joint Transpo/Sustainability Working Group, Thu June 26, 6:30pm

Dave Snyder dave at livablecity.org
Tue Jun 24 15:27:22 PDT 2008

I can't attend this meeting because it's my family night, but I have
these comments:

1. The proposed fare hikes are for July 2009, not sooner. That's not
imminent. The price of parking and the price of parking violations
will rise sooner than fares. And single ride fares will not rise one
penny. Really low-income folks who cannot afford the full cost of a
monthly pass and therefore pay the single ride fare will be affected
by this increase only by experiencing better service. Other really low-
income folks who scrape together $45 will benefit from an expanded low-
income fast pass discount which is part of the deal with the MTA.

At $55, the monthly pass will be ...

... an appropriate amount relative to the single ride fare (about 37
times -- which is the discount for a monthly pass that is unlikely to
cause people to switch to paying the single ride fare and thereby slow
the system down and discourage ridership).

... a great deal cheaper than most comparable transit systems (NYC=81,
AC Transit = 70 or 116, LA=75, for examples), and

... at the high end of its historical price in constant dollars (see
the attached chart), but less than its peak of $54.09 in 2007 dollars
(which is at least $57 in 2009 dollars).

Local, urban transit should be free, but paid for by taxing the rich.
Until we figure that out, appropriate fare increases to provide the
funding necessary to provide reliable transit service should be
supported, especially when those fare increases are not likely to
discourage ridership and come after increases to car costs. I would
respect a principled decision by the SFGP to oppose any and all fare
increases, including "reasonable" ones, but I strongly believe this is
a reasonable fare increase and should be supported.

2. I don't have much to say in writing about the mayor's proposed
ballot measure. I'm happy to talk with anyone personally about it. I
will say this: the SFCTA is one of the best functioning agencies in
the city. And, I'll forward separately an email I wrote much earlier
about the two agencies, for your edification.

Have fun!

Dave