[Sustain] Fwd: U.S. Senator Dianne Feinstein responding to your message

Richard Knee rak0408 at earthlink.net
Mon Mar 24 18:03:30 PDT 2008

The currency is money (what else is new?). A cap-and-trade system allows
a polluter to continue poisoning the air, water and/or soil by shelling
out a few dollars to a company that's coming in under prescribed
emission limits. It's a bad system because (a) is sends the message
"Sure, you can shirk your responsibility if you can pop the bucks for
it, and (b) as near as I can tell, it does not take into account the
differences in air, water or soil conditions that affect how well a
particular locality or region can absorb carbon or a carbon compound
without suffering irreparable environmental damage.

Case in point: when California lawmakers enacted a cap-and-trade system,
they envisioned interstate and even international bucks-for-credits
swaps. You might recall that the bill drew loud applause from leading
Democrats, Republicans and the likes of PG&E; that in itself is reason
to distrust it.

If we're going to have a cap-and-trade system, yes, we want transparency
requirements for it. Better, though, to enact a system that will require
/everyone/ to contribute to reducing emissions of carbon and other
pollutants.

Also worth remembering is that DiFi did radio ads opposing the
public-power initiative (Prop. D) in 2002.

Best,
Rick

"BIG government isn't the problem.
SECRET government is the problem."