[Sustain] Staying Grounded on Water Issues (from NM)

Martin Zehr m_zehr at hotmail.com
Fri Mar 28 20:32:10 PDT 2008

This is a post from an active participant in the Middle Rio Grande Water Assembly (in Albuquerque, NM) who lives now in Glen Park. The discussion raises the issues that only a party that runs candidates and builds support for its own Platform can address. The political solutions lie in creating new forms of adaptive governance and establishing formalized roles for Green representation as urban water users with a particular agenda on sustainability. This comes through the governing entities such as the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission  http://www.ci.sf.ca.us/site/frame.asp?u=http://www.sfwater.org/  , the Citizens' Advisory Commission and the Sustainability Plan. It also comes by sitting down with state legislators who consistently support sustainability and developing common strategies and legislation that can empower the local entities to implement significant changes.

Mato Ska
GPSF

Dear Water Assembly List Members,

For what it may be worth, here are some thoughts on Kay Matthews’ La Jicarita News editorial. She states, toward the bottom, “The ISC has made it abundantly clear that it doesn't want implementation as part of the regional plans and doesn't want public welfare to apply to a water management strategy that encourages water transfers from agricultural lands to urban areas.” I have great respect for Kay, and understand her frustration, but I don’t believe that’s generally true. However, that statement may apply to the Taos plan, but not because the Interstate Stream Commission (ISC) is “in bed” with development interests. Above all, I think state water policy administrators are seeking to avoid conflict, and especially the litigation of competing claims on a scarce resource, which they’re anxious not to get in the middle of. (They lack data, don’t have the resources, etc.) Taos region politicians probably are getting pressured by development and other parochial interests, and they in turn are leaning on the state, which is trying to find a way out by taking the position that though the stakeholders have legitimately had their input, actual implementation of the plan should be the responsibility of local elected officials.

I think that originally, the Regional Water Plan (RWP) process was attractive to the bureaucracy because it seemed to be a way of letting heterogeneous local interests work through the issues and come to some reasonable conclusions about policies that could get buy-in at a sub-state level. If there really was consensus, the state could then support a local “public welfare”-based policy in approving or denying a transfer. (This is what the State Engineer meant when he told the Dialogue at the 2004 annual statewide meeting that he would be “guided” by regional definitions of public welfare.) Problems arose, however, because the mechanisms used to aggregate the interests of a region (itself a pretty fuzzy concept – because the Public Welfare statement had to be pretty vague and overly generalized to get wide support) really had no institutional legitimacy. A RWP committee or council could gather the input, and even approve a plan, but it would take actors with jurisdiction carry it out. So the “open” planning system gets replaced by a “closed” implementation system.

The answer to this, I think, is not to throw up our hands and ask “Why did we even bother?”” Instead, we somehow need to work on making those planning systems more robust, and work toward “institutionalizing” a citizen-based plan implementation oversight function in every region. The Taos planners took it farther than any other region (to my knowledge), but haven’t yet had the political clout to make it stick. If lawmakers would provide a legal framework recognizing ongoing regional planning organizations, giving them even advisory review authority, and providing resources for them to operate, I believe the ISC would be far less likely to cave to special interests (if that is indeed what happened). If the RWPs are being updated around the state beginning this year, now would be the time to put a bug in legislators’ ears about making these regional mechanisms better and stronger. Done right, this could transform the water policy process. The New Mexico Water Dialogue is in an early stage of working on a template for updating RWPs, and in the spirit of openness would welcome suggestions. To see working documents for this project, please visit http://nmwaterdialogue.org/rwp_update_template.html.

Lynn and Elizabeth, don’t give up now! ¡Sί se puede! Best wishes,

John

John R Brown