[Sustain] Action Alert: Stop 1st Genetically Engineered Sugar

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sat May 10 09:27:12 PDT 2008

ronnie at organicconsumers.org wrote:

FRANKENFOODS ALERT OF THE WEEK:
GENETICALLY ENGINEERED CANDY FOR MOTHERS DAY?

This Mothers Day may be the last time you can buy mainstream non-organic candy for Mom on Mothers Day that isn't made from genetically engineered (GE) sugar. Sugar in most conventional foods will soon come from newly approved biotech sugar beets unless we act now to stop it. In just a few weeks, US farmers are poised to plant their first GE sugar beet crops, Monsanto's Roundup Ready sugar beets.  Over half the sugar in processed foods comes from sugar beets (the rest is supplied by sugarcane), and since ingredients from GE crops are not labeled in the U.S., once food producers start using GE beet sugar in their candies, cereals, breads, baby foods and other products, there will be no way for us to know if we are eating GE sugar unless we buy organic foods, since GE ingredients are banned in organic products.
Take action now: http://www.organicconsumers.org/articles/article_7031.cfm

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." – Che Guevara