[Sustain] Important: Need GM Agenda Item - City Efficiency/Solar Ordinance

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sat May 17 13:04:36 PDT 2008

Hi all,

Jake McGoldrick has proposed an ordinance that will be in committee this
coming Thursday, which will restrict the use of the Mayor's Energy
Conservation Account (MECA) so that it emphasizes efficiency over solar
and so that it can only be used on public projects and affordable
housing nonprofits.

This ordinance (see attached) is meant to correct the legal landscape
which allowed the Mayor to create his bogus privatized solar program,
and looks like it will effectively do so.

It needs an amendment to make sure that its restrictions do not
interfere with the public Community Choice renewable energy project, but
otherwise seems like it jives with the decision we made a couple of
months ago.

Since it will be voted on the next day we should decide on endorsing
this Wednesday.

I'm requesting 5 minutes on the GM Agenda for discussion and action.

peace

Eric Brooks

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." – Che Guevara