[Sustain] [SFGP-A] Prop H: Regardless Of The Final Vote We Have Already Won!

Rita Goldberger ritagoldberger at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 7 07:18:02 PST 2008

That is an excellent idea.

Rita

--- On Thu, 11/6/08, Joe Lynn <joelynn114 at hotmail.com> wrote:

From: Joe Lynn <joelynn114 at hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: [SFGP-A] Prop H: Regardless Of The Final Vote We Have Already Won!
To: "Eric Brooks" <brookse32 at aim.com>
Cc: "GPSF Sustainability Working Group" <sustainability at sfgreens.org>, "Green Active list" <active at sfgreens.org>
Date: Thursday, November 6, 2008, 10:11 PM

I’ve mentioned the resonance between the Dred Scott decision and the Southern Pacific case, which granted to corporations the personal rights guaranteed by the Constitution.  In his debates with Sen. Douglass, Lincoln addressed the role of the public in confronting the Dred Scott decision.  He believed the Constitution invested the other branches of government a role in challenging antidemocratic Supreme Court decisionson questions involving personhood.   Perhaps a challenge to Southern Pacific would draw on his savvy lawyering. There’s plenty of recent precedent with right wing movements attempting to overrule a Supreme Court decision.