[Sustain] [SFGP-A] Prop H: Regardless Of The Final Vote We HaveAlready Won!

Joe Lynn joelynn114 at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 10 22:43:57 PST 2008

There may have been reporting violations, but those were not causative of
the measure failing.

When you talk about stopping PG&E from ³pulling this again,² I assume you¹re
talking about the obscene spending.  Buckley as reinvigorated by the
Alito/Roberts Court blocks us from that.  Spending is speech.  However,
there may be some creative way of involving public finance in ballot
measures.

There¹s a lot to absorb from the way our new public finance program worked.
We changed this in early 2008 to more than double the assistance available
to campaigns.  It appears we finally got enough cash into the campaigns so
that they could withstand large independent expenditures.  The critical
issue to me is not how much is being spent against someone, but whether that
person has enough funds to get the message out.  I feel somewhat confirmed
in that view from the results of D1, 3, and 11..  This lesson may be
extrapolated to a ballot measure campaign as well.

There are problems.  Who would qualify for financing and how?  What amounts
would be available?

Trying to block spending will run afoul of the courts.  Empowering folks to
communicate to the public in an unfiltered fashion seems the best avenue to
me.

On 11/10/08 10:05 PM, "Eric Brooks" <brookse32 at aim.com> wrote:

> I'm not sure that PG&E is not culpable for violating election laws. But it's
> definitely a judgment call, and even if we won, what's another big fine to
> them when they just spent $12 million against us.
>
> I'd rather, as you suggest, codify new law that really has teeth and can keep
> them from pulling this again.
>
> Cal Broomhead wrote:
>>
>> It appears you have already discussed whether PG&E was in violation of
>> campaign laws or not, and that the answer was 'not'.  I agree that we need
>> a stronger campaign financing law to stop this crap.  Then, before the
>> election, an injunction against them to prevent them from doing anything
>> during the election...and then pay the fine afterwards...which they see as
>> just part of the cost of doing business or the campaign.
>>
>> Cal Broomhead
>> broomhead at igc.org

Corporate personhood is enshrined in the Southern Pacific case
before the
Supreme Court circa 1870-1880. ?I©öve always seen the case as the
flip side
of the Dred Scott decision. ?In the Southern Pacific case the rights
of a
person were given to propert. ?In the Dred Scott case the rights of a
person were denied to a person because he was property. ?That said,
the
Southern Pacific case blocks reform along these lines, at least with
Roberts/Alito Suspreme Court.

I am convinced that public financing is the only remedy that makes
sense.
?It may be possible to set up a public finance program to wage
ballot-measure campaigns. ?Public finance is an extension of Benjamin
Franklin©ös principles of a public library. ?In both cases, the

>> public

treasury may be used for ideas not embraced by the majority under the
principle that dissemination of ideas to a free-thinking people is
critical
to democracy. ?There are a lot of kinks to work out for such a
program, but
a reactionary Court has ruled that regulation of money entails
regulation
of speech. ?This raises a profound obstacle to reform efforts. ?In
addition, administration of regulatory schemes presumes
administrators
committed to the political philosophy that gives rise to the
regulation.
?As we have seen in San Francisco, that presents an even more
fundamental
practical problem for reformers. ?Along these lines, Oliver Luby, the
Campaign Fines Officer at the SF Ethics Commission, has an op-ed
piece in
Tuesday©ös Chronicle relating Ethics decision to give major donors
($10,000
or more) a free ride on disclosures.

>> ?http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/11/04/ED2813T8OR.D

TL