[Sustain] NO To Corporate Sponsorship Of Sunday Streets

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Fri Apr 10 06:32:35 PDT 2009

Susan King and all,

Susan, I am concerned.

Here are excerpts from a Guardian blog report by Steve Jones on Sunday
Streets, including a quote from you..

"-- it's unsettling to see Sunday Streets brought to you by some of the
most villainous corporations in town, including PG&E
<http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?catid=77&entry_id=1927>, Lennar
<http://www.sfbg.com/entry.php?entry_id=6843&catid=4>, WebCor Builders
<http://www.sfbg.com/blogs/politics/2007/10/procar_crowd_draws_first_blood.html>,
and Clear Channel Entertainment, and laid out as a promotional tool for
the very Fisherman's Wharf merchants who opposed it last year.

Yes, it costs money to close streets, money that the city and community
event promoters just don't have right now. But what does it say about
San Francisco when we need to rely big corporations in order to use and
enjoy our public spaces?

Of course, that's not the only way to look at this, particularly when
one's goal is to push the envelope on seizing back space from cars.
Susan King, a Green Party member helping to organize Sunday Streets for
Livable City, acknowledged my point-of-view but said that it's a step
forward when institutional powers are willing to help with progressive
goals.

"It really mainstreams the concept of carfree spaces," she told me,
noting that directing traffic through and around the street closures is
a complicated effort that will cost between $40,000 and $50,000 per
event. "The costs are associated with how difficult it is to take a
roadway and repurpose it.""

I was grudgingly willing to go along with this dubious Newsom initiated
program when it clearly had some merit. But now that Newsom is simply
using it as yet another tool to greenwash corporations that are
destroying our city, like PG&E and Lennar, I am vehemently opposed to this.

Furthermore, I am sure that very few Greens agree that partnering with
evil corporations mainstreams them with supporting public goals. On the
contrary, it helps them to co-opt and destroy those goals and make it
easier for them to plunder our environment and community, and control
our politicians, while they make themselves look good to the public;
thereby making it easier for them to kick our ass in ballot measure
battles like the recent props F and H.

And as to the events themselves, I have completely stopped attending
street parties in San Francisco because they have become such a tawdry,
dingy, corporate controlled joke. The last thing we need is for the same
ugliness and cheapness to descend on our Sunday Streets events.

This experiment has now gone too far.

We need to find a way to nix the corporate sponsorship of these events
pronto, so that this takeover doesn't ruin the Sunday Streets project.

I would like to see this agendized at the next GM so we can make clear
that the SF Green Party does -not- support corporate sponsored Sunday
Streets events.

sincerely

Eric B

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." -- Che Guevara