[Sustain] PG&E's Kill Clean Energy Statewide Measure

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Sat Aug 22 18:16:29 PDT 2009

Hi all,

The petition noted by Don below is for a statewide ballot measure
sponsored by PG&E that will end public power and large scale clean
energy in local California communities if it makes the ballot and passes.

It is absolutely crucial to the very future of the planet that we defeat
this ballot measure.

For more info go to:

http://our-city.org/campaigns/index.html

and please pass the web site on to as many California voters as possible!

Tell people that, just like the disastrous two thirds vote requirement
for the California budget, PG&E's initiative will require a two thirds
vote for clean energy!

peace

Eric Brooks

Don Eichelberger wrote:
> Here is a new petition in circulation which tries to require 2/3 vote to
> implement Community Choice or spend any public money to implement public
> power.
>
> Looks like something we need to be concerned about.
>
> Don
>
> The first petition of the California petition season is below. The
> 2/3rds requirement is designed to block any municipal electric systems
> from being expanded. Community Choice Aggregators are also targeted to
> reduce any competition in the energy field to corporations.
>
> The Green Party of California should oppose this petition and do so
> while it is circulation.
>
> Peace,
>
> Will Yeager
>

> 1369. (09-0015)
>
>     *New Two-Thirds Requirement for Local Public Electricity Providers.
>     Initiative Constitutional Amendment.*
>     /Summary Date: 07/23/09 Circulation Deadline: 12/21/09 Signatures
>     Required: 694,354/
>
>     Proponent: Robert Lee Pence c/o Steve Lucas (415) 389-6800
>
>     Requires local governments to obtain the approval of two-thirds of
>     the voters before providing electricity to new customers or
>     expanding such service to new territories if any public funds or
>     bonds are involved. Requires same two-thirds vote to provide
>     electricity through a community choice program if any public funds
>     or bonds are involved. Requires the vote to be in the jurisdiction
>     of the local government and any new territory to be served. Provides
>     exceptions to the jurisdiction of the voting requirements for a
>     limited number of identified projects. Summary of estimate by
>     Legislative Analyst and Director of Finance of fiscal impact on
>     state and local governments: Unknown impact on state and local
>     government costs and revenues, depending on future voter decisions,
>     due to the measure's potential effects on electricity rates and
>     publicly owned utility operations. (09-0015.) (Full Text)
>     <http://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/initiatives/pdfs/i812_initiative_09-0015.pdf>
>

> http://ag.ca.gov/cms_attachments/initiatives/pdfs/i812_initiative_09-0015.pdf

> http://mail.yahoo.com

"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate
themselves." – Che Guevara