[Sustain] Transpo/Sustainability Meeting Mon, Jan 19?

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Fri Jan 9 11:41:48 PST 2009

Here are some proposed agenda items:

On Transportation

- Leveraging Obama stimulus dollars for mass transit
- Averting a likely fare increase and Muni's growing disrespect for
transit riders (especially disabled riders)
- MTA increasing fare inspectors instead of revenues - and our need to
act to get the new supes on our side right away for a -big- revenue
boost to Muni (with concurrent build out) with no fare increases
- The BART police shooting of passengers and the general morphing of
local transit into a Homeland Security police state (and what to do
about this) (Ammiano and Yee have proposed legislation re BART police.)
- The New York City proposal for free mass transit and how we might
apply it to SF

On Sustainability

- The Mayor bailing on the SFPUC biofuels program to subsidize a huge
private biofuel factory which will turn animal agricultural products
into biodiesel and will be run by the largest multinational rendering
corporation (Darling International) which has a long history of illegal
polluting and ignoring local laws.
- Sophie Maxwell's measure to close the Mirant plant and replace it with
a clean energy program that adopts the Prop H clean energy benchmarks.
(This needs to be extensively amended and we need to meet on it as an
action item.)
- SFPUC's appointment of a former PG&E employee to run the Community
Choice project and making making sure that LAFCo does not wimp out and
accept this which there is a danger of, and so keeping Community Choice
on track and strong, which suddenly seems very uncertain
- SFPUC staff's move to defund the nonprofit/low-income portion of the
Mayor's solar program and increase private subsidies

--
"I am not a liberator. Liberators do not exist. The people liberate themselves." -- Che Guevara