[Sustain] Urgent Action: Stop Nukes In Senate Climate Bill

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Fri Jul 17 10:36:45 PDT 2009

*Nuclear Information and Resource Service*
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=jfAv9IZroBPsJwQ3DHBUOeTGzrcjVfvR>

*ACT NOW!** TELL YOUR SENATORS:
NO NUKES IN CLIMATE BILL,
NO CLIMATE BILL WITH NUKES*

July 16, 2009

Dear Friends,

The Senate Environment Committee is delaying work on its climate bill
until September. But there is plenty going on now--both publicly and
behind-the-scenes. And the news isn't good.

Some Republicans are pushing for their own climate and energy plan. It
calls for $50 billion more in taxpayer loan guarantees for new reactor
construction; a doubling of taxpayer spending on dangerous reprocessing
technologies, and a formal Congressional intent to build 100 new
reactors in the next 20 years!

This would make the bailout of the auto industry seem like penny-ante
poker. Indeed, a recent study by an economic analyst at the University
of Vermont
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ZWzpBYkD%2B%2FARQNP7OXpKxeTGzrcjVfvR>
/finds that building 100 new reactors would cost from $1.9 to $4.1
trillion more than getting our electricity from clean renewable energy
sources/.

The Republican plan won't pass; yet too many Democrats seem willing to
compromise on nuclear power in order to get a climate bill passed.

*We need to act now, while decisions are being made in private. Please
write your Senators here
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5T2ZlU%2B5ufpJtOIf%2B7tIeOTGzrcjVfvR>*,
and tell them that a climate bill that provides taxpayer subsidies to
nuclear power would not only be ineffective at reducing carbon
emissions, it would be unacceptable.

*But that's not going to be enough.* We all need to ramp up our
outreach, get the word to all of our mailing lists, e-mail lists, blogs,
social networking sites, radio talk shows, letters-to-the-editor and so
forth. *Please do everything you can to spread the news* that the Senate
climate bill is in danger of being hijacked by the nuclear power industry.

*And please support our campaign with your most generous donation so we
can do the kind of outreach and mobilization needed. *
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=goSFUIW8gqABRSSjx%2BQ35OTGzrcjVfvR>

We've won twice this year already--defeating efforts to give the nuclear
industry another $50 billion in loan guarantees. But this is going to be
our biggest challenge yet.

Many of those supporting nuclear expansion say they won't support any
kind of climate bill anyway! So why should those in favor of taking
necessary steps to reduce carbon emissions even think of compromising on
nuclear power?

*They shouldn't, and if they hear from enough of us, they won't*. But
they have to hear from every one of us--and then a lot more.

Don't forget that the Senate energy bill--which is slated to be folded
in to the climate bill this Fall--sets up a new "Clean Energy
Development Administration (CEDA)," with the power to give unlimited
taxpayer loan guarantees for new reactors. That bill was sponsored by
Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-NM)--and it's just as unacceptable as the
Republican plan. This provision, along with reprocessing funding, must
not become part of the climate bill.

Here is a link to a new fact sheet
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2FQCWaFEuAKiKcL95bE%2BqXuTGzrcjVfvR>
from Physicians for Social Responsibility comparing the CEDA provisions
in the Senate energy bill and the recently-passed House climate bill.

We need to build our strength and show our strength, now and throughout
the summer and fall.

**The first step is to write your Senators here.
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=9ykLcCs0zPDLQGaJOqN%2Bt%2BTGzrcjVfvR>*

**The next step is to support us financially if at all possible
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=FwPEFZUqp%2BwX2fNZX5%2B3wuTGzrcjVfvR>.*

**The third step is--if you haven't already--send a letter to President
Obama* urging him to stand firm against Senate efforts to spend taxpayer
money on nuclear power. You can do so here
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=ZgEUoORDgY3i4gz4AeMZM%2BTGzrcjVfvR>.

**Next, if you haven't yet signed the Simple Statement on Nuclear Power
and Climate, do so here
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=s2MCgby9P4u18wh%2B2grfc%2BTGzrcjVfvR>*.
If your friends haven't signed, ask them to. More than 10,000 people
already have signed--but it will be a lot more effective if we can
greatly increase that number!

**Now, forward this alert to everyone and anyone who might be
interested*. With all of us working and mobilizing together, we can stop
this nuclear nonsense and begin building an energy policy for our
future, one that is nuclear-free and carbon-free. Our lives, our
children and our planet are at stake.

Here's one more quick link
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=lyQprHaCmb1Qsd9lrmRauOTGzrcjVfvR>:
to a /Science Daily/ article about a new Swedish study that finds
nuclear power's contribution to global warming has been signficantly
underestimated--not because of nuclear's carbon emissions, but because
of its heat emissions. *There is really no choice: we can have nuclear
power, or we can fight climate change. We can't do both. So we must act
now*.

We will keep you informed throughout the summer and fall about
developments on the climate bill and proposals for new nuclear
subsidies. Watch for our blogs on DailyKos and other sites. We'll send
new Alerts when you can take new, effective action. We'll also be doing
sample letters-to-the-editor, talking points for the next national
call-in day, and more.

But please feel free to contact us any time if you'd like more
information. You can e-mail us at nirsnet at nirs.org
<mailto:nirsnet at nirs.org>, or call us at 301-270-6477.

Thanks for all you do,

Michael Mariotte

Executive Director

Nuclear Information and Resource Service

nirsnet at nirs.org <mailto:nirsnet at nirs.org>

www.nirs.org
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=wpCsyKZE3pT%2Fm85Qi4Jlk%2BTGzrcjVfvR>

*P.S. We'll end on a very positive note!* Bonnie Raitt and Taj Mahal are
teaming up for a nationwide tour this summer.  $1 of every ticket sold
will be donated to progressive organizations, including NIRS. You can
find out more about the tour, and--importantly--*vote* for which
category of organization should receive this money, by going here
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4d5RfpTTY8gV3R3BT7ZeKulk3TYVT3fW>.