[Sustain] Earth 2100,

Don Eichelberger done7777 at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jun 3 00:59:03 PDT 2009

I just finished watching the ABC News Special, Earth 2100, and while the
advertisements of it appeared rather sensationalistic and "over
dramatic", I found it to be a mostly thoughtful presentation of future
"as it could be if we don't...".

But I was concerned about a main underlying premise that might slip by
someone who was not hard wired to watch out for subtle propaganda
supporting nuclear power.  Seems in this dramatization, the future
hinged largely around the 2015 Climate Summit.  And that summit was
undone when the US refused to give China and India nuclear power technology.

It was a fleeting connection, but clearly there.  I do not believe
nuclear power will get us out of the threat of global warming without
presenting several larger frying pans:  costs, security, safety, waste
issues and weapons proliferation.

I do not believe this was inadvertent on the part of ABC News, but a
carefully planted (verging on subliminal?) seed that could have
repercussions for the upcoming Copenhagen Climate Summit.

I keep thinking with the current economic meltdown and climate crisis,
anyone getting the billions of dollars and 10-15 years it takes to build
a nuclear power reactor is unlikely.  Yet there are also persistent
efforts on the part of the nuclear industry to get in on all the money
going to "clean energy technologies", which could get funding from
carbon credits.

I'd like to stop worrying, but can't while "all energy options remain on
the table" for this administration.

Nuclear power enthusiasts are nothing if not persistent and wily.  I
will remain alert.

Don