[Sustain] Email to my Supervisor on the Moran appointment

Martin Zehr m_zehr at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 16 14:57:26 PDT 2009

Supervisor Avalos:

I ask that you vote NO on the appointment of Anson Moran to the San Francisco Public Utilities Commission. I am very concerned that he lacks the committment to sound and sustainable water policies. As the issue of San Francisco's water supply unfolds, we need someone with a demonstrated background in water planning who has demonstrated leadership and provided sound policy that represents urban users and the environment. Just recently SF Weekly had a story in regards to the issue of the supply issue of the Hetch-Hetchy that is on the horizon. http://www.sfweekly.com/2009-05-20/news/take-me-to-the-river/

As someone who worked in the area of water planning in the state of NM for ten years, I know how critical it is to establish a seat that will represent the urban users of San Francisco while establishing new mechanisms to address future water needs of the region. We can no longer presume that we have all the water we will need for the future. Neither should we go out of our way in divvying up the Hetch-Hetchy water without a planning body, a water budget and a Public Welfare Statement that represents all stakeholders.

As the SFPUC is the agency responsible for water in our city, I urge you to consider the consequences of approving his appointment and urge you to have the Mayor appoint a more  committed and experienced person on the water issue to approve as a Commissioner.