[Sustain] Protest To Save SF's State Park & Bayview Neighborhood

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Thu Jun 25 17:30:53 PDT 2009

Join us next week to protest, and stop, Lennar Corporation's toxic
gentrification of San Francisco's Bayview Hunters Point neighborhood and
Candlestick Point State Park!

Tuesday June 30, 2009, 1pm
Innes & Donahue Streets, Bayview Hunters Point, San Francisco

(See event and transportation details near the end of this email or at
http://our-city.org/events/index.html )

BACKGROUND

The San Francisco Redevelopment Agency is poised to purchase 40 acres of
precious State protected wetland open space in the Candlestick Point
State Park area, on which it will then allow Florida based Lennar
Corporation to build high priced condos, destroying the open space and
cheating San Francisco out of a vital public natural treasure. Lennar
corporation has a long history of similar land grabs, of ongoing illegal
toxic releases from its projects, and of making unwritten promises to
build low income housing and hire local workers in order to justify
these land grabs, only to later completely betray those promises.

Ground zero of Lennar's toxic gentrification is the Bayview Hunters
Point neighborhood which is over 40% African American and has a high
percentage of other residents of color, as well as thousands of low
income residents who depend on the Bayview's lower housing costs to
enable them to continue living in, and contributing crucial cultural
diversity to San Francisco. In its existing developments in the Bayview,
Lennar has continuously stirred up deadly, carcinogenic asbestos dust
during its shoddy operations, putting the Bayview and every resident of
San Francisco at completely unnecessary risk of illness and death.

It is time for this greed driven toxic gentrification to stop!

WHAT YOU CAN DO

Join us this Tuesday with Stop Lennar Action Movement at Lennar's main
work site in the Bayview to demand an end to Lennar's crimes in our city.

For protest time and location see below, or go to our events alert page
at http://our-city.org/events/index.html

STOP LENNAR CORPORATION?S TOXIC GENTRIFICATION OF BAYVIEW HUNTERS POINT!

COMMUNITY PROTEST AND ACTION!
TUESDAY, JUNE 30, 2009 at 1PM

Meet at the front gate of the Hunters Point Shipyard
Innes & Donahue Streets, San Francisco

PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION TO THE PROTEST:

- Take the Muni T Train to 3rd/Evans & transfer to the Muni #44 or #19 bus
- Or from 8th/Market take the #19 Muni Bus outbound to the protest

Sponsored by Stop Lennar Action Movement, Greenaction for Health &
Environmental Justice, Huntersview Mothers Committee for Health &
Environmental Justice, PODER, POWER, Chinese Progressive Association,
Our City, San Francisco Green Party, West County Toxics Coalition,
ANSWER, SF Bayview Newspaper, Environmental Justice Air Quality Coalition

Thanks for your action and support!

peace

Eric Brooks
Campaign Coordinator
Our City
415-756-8844

--

This alert sent by:

Our City
1028-A Howard St.
San Francisco, CA  94103
415-756-8844

For more information about Our City campaigns go to:
http://our-city.org
info at our-city.org