[Sustain] [Fwd: Stop the "clean energy" bank--this is it folks!]

Don Eichelberger done7777 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 14 13:53:10 PDT 2009

Folks-

Here is an important alert from Nuclear Information Resource Service
about efforts to give massive subsidies to "clean energy" efforts like
nuclear and "clean coal".  Please contact your legislator and Nancy
Pelosi to remove taxpayer subsidies from these dirty and dangerous
industries and characterizing them as "clean energy".

Links below are easy to follow, and it wouldn't hurt to send a hand
written letter or card in follow-up.

Thank you,

Don

*Nuclear Information and Resource Service*
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=oLRzNgExNnnhNOrZCcMiqStvZRIieLoF>

*THIS IS IT FOLKS!
*

*EITHER WE STOP THE "CLEAN ENERGY" BANK OR WE GET DOZENS OF NEW NUCLEAR
REACTORS
*

*WE CAN WIN THIS ONE: ACT NOW!*

May 14, 2009

Dear friends,

We've asked a lot of you this past several months. As the Obama
administration has moved into power, the pace of activity has increased;
we know that.

So we don't waste your time asking you to take actions that aren't
meaningful.

*And right now, we're asking you to take the most important action of
the year.*

Write your House member and Speaker Nancy Pelosi now. And then forward
this message to everyone you can think of.

*Write your House member here.
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=4cC4W0oZTXIEmQkIbDXs28p6wEETcb42>
*

*Write Speaker Nancy Pelosi here.*
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=VamzII7DFTtLe7T5d71E5sp6wEETcb42>

We should have figured it out earlier, but we didn't. The section in the
bill was so obscure we all missed it. But the "Clean Energy Bank"
legislation sponsored by Senate Energy Committee Chairman Jeff Bingaman
and Rep. Jay Inslee (D-WA) includes *UNLIMITED* taxpayer loan guarantees
for construction of new nuclear reactors. Not $50 Billion, or $100
Billion. *UNLIMITED!*

In other words, under the guise of a clean energy program, the nuclear
power industry could get taxpayer money to build as many reactors as
they wanted, regardless of their cost, regardless of their projected
default rate.

That's just unacceptable.

We need to act on this as loudly and clearly as possible.

Write your House member and Speaker Nancy Pelosi now. And then forward
this message to everyone you can think of.

*Write your House member here
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=EP4IvXE9s28kMI%2Fqen4sZMp6wEETcb42>.
*

*Write Speaker Nancy Pelosi here.*
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=oXX8ZGUI4ZSILmV7Uo4VWMp6wEETcb42>

PLEASE forward this Alert to everyone you can think of. In 24 hours, we
generated more than 3,000 letters in opposition to the pro-nuclear
Murkowski amendment to the Senate energy bill. That's pretty good for
one day, and we thank everyone who wrote (the Murkowski amendment has
not yet been considered, it will likely come up next week). But we need
to generate at least 10,000 letters to Pelosi and House members to stop
this fake "clean energy" bank. Please help everyone you can think of to
send letters now by forwarding this Alert. Phone calls to House members
would be very effective too: 202-224-3121.

*A NIRS blog posting on the "clean energy" bank is available here
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=jZC9IN8XBW3QolFeFjHEjcp6wEETcb42>.*
It provides a lot more background info on this issue. You have our
permission to re-post this everywhere and anywhere you want. Please do so.

*This really is it folks.* The effectiveness of our actions now will
determine our energy--and quite possibly our economic--future. There is
just no reason for inaction; let's all do everything we can.

*Pass the word; send an e-mail to your friends, forward this Alert
everywhere. Put in on Facebook and MySpace. Twitter it. Blog it. Print
this and take it to meetings. Do whatever you can. We can't let this stand.*

And please send a few dollars our way. Every tax-deductible contribution
you make enables us to reach more people, to expand our efforts, to
build on what you already are doing. *We simply can't do this without
your support, so please contribute here.*
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=HB6rkuBaCj9M51fWYfw5Mcp6wEETcb42>

*We need thousands and thousands of people responding to this Alert;
please act, please do everything you can to expand our reach.*

Thanks for all you do,

Michael Mariotte

Executive Director

Nuclear Information and Resource Service

nirsnet at nirs.org <mailto:nirsnet at nirs.org>

www.nirs.org
<http://org2.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=dUGvOlm0BI79FLquLndKvytvZRIieLoF>