[Sustain] Fwd: ALERT! Leno's Bill Unfair Exchange in Bayview Hunters Point

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Wed May 27 13:36:13 PDT 2009

Hi all,

See the urgent action request below from POWER and sign your groups onto
the attached letter by tomorrow.

Because the letter is totally consistent with our past decisions on
Lennar and the Hunters Point Redevelopment deal, and because I have been
interacting actively with the growing Stop Lennar campaign, I will go
ahead and sign the SFGP onto the letter unless someone raises a concern
before midnight.

peace, Eric B

alicia at peopleorganized.org wrote:

Comrades,

Mark Leno's SB 792 left the Appropriations Committee today to be voted
on by the full Senate.  While the timeline for the vote is still
unclear, we still have a few POWERful days to register our opposition.

Leno's bill would allow for the transfer of clean parkland at
Candlestick Point to the San Francisco Redevelopment Agency for private
development, and replace it with toxic land that is not an even
exchange.  As you may know, the Lennar Corporation, a developer that has
endangered the community by exposing it to toxic dust from the Hunters
Point Shipyard, is planning to build 10,000 luxury condominiums on the
site as part of a brand new neighborhood they plan to build inside the
boundaries of Bayview Hunters Point.  Not only is this a prime example
of environmental racism, it is also a marker of what is to come in the
community if we don't make our voices heard TODAY.

Here's the link to the bill:
_http://www.totalcapitol.com/?bill_id=10961
_
*Bayview deserves better.*  The Hunters Point Naval Shipyard is one of
the worst Superfund sites in the country, and community residents are
feeling the impacts.  African American communities are
disproportionately impacted by exposure to toxics, and Bayview Hunters
Point is no different.

More than 50% of community residents have some form of cancer or
respiratory illness from living in proximity to a power plant, sewage
treatment facility, a major freeway, and the Hunters Point Naval
Shipyard.  *SB 792 masks the reality that the Shipyard is not a park;
it's a toxic Superfund site where radiation is still present.  As a
result, the exchange of the Shipyard for clean parkland in the community
is is not an even exchange.*  It's an insult  to the Bayview Hunters
Point community, and your voice is needed today!

*Please take the attached letter, add your information, and send it back
to us by THURSDAY, MAY 28, 2009. Include your zip code, and the full
name of your organization (if applicable).* We want to gather 500
letters from San Franciscans and community based organizations
everywhere who are concerned about the future of the Bayview Hunters
Point community specifically, and African American communities and
working class communities of color broadly.

Forward to all of your networks!

Alicia Schwartz
Co-Director
People Organized to Win Employment Rights (POWER)
(415) 864-8372 ext. 305
--
*Please note our new addresses!
*

4923 3rd Street
San Francisco, CA 94124
--
we are fighting for the noblest cause on earth, the liberation of mankind.
they are fighting to entrench an outworn, anachronistic vile system of

we will win.

robert mangaliso sobukwe, first president of the pan african congress