[Sustain] [SFGP-A] New Transit Fare Evasion Study Shows Inspectors Worthless

David Fairley pamndave at speakeasy.net
Tue Nov 3 22:24:47 PST 2009

What's striking to me is the total failure on the part of the City's
movers and shakers to connect Muni with larger societal interests.
Transportation accounts for roughly 50% of the Bay Area's greenhouse gas
emissions.  Expanding the number of people taking public transit is an
essential piece of the solution.  Yet every action by SF's powers that be
is aimed at discouraging ridership: higher fares, reduced service, and now
punitive inspections and enforcement.  Whoever rides the bus is, at least,
not committing the crime of driving a personal auto: not using up
irreplacable resources, not emitting GHGs, and not congesting the streets
making sane transit impossible.

Even before the awareness of global warming, San Francisco had a "transit
first" policy.  It's still SF policy as far as I'm aware, but in hypocrisy
so typical of the City, it is honored in the breach.

It would be great if the Green Party could expose the City's rulers for
the small-minded hypocrites they are.

David