[Sustain] BAEHP Environmental Justice Air Pollution Protocol

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Thu Nov 19 01:32:47 PST 2009

Hi all,

See the alert below for more information about the Bay Area
Environmental Health Collaborative and its proposed new pollution
protocol; which we discussed at tonight's GM meeting. I've also attached
the protocol as a pdf in case you'd rather read it as a file, instead of
following the links in the email.

peace

Eric

/*
/Please forward widely (apologies for cross postings).../

ENVIRONMENTAL JUSTICE ACTION ALERT!*

Join the Bay Area Environmental Health Collaborative in demanding that
the Bay Area Air Quality Management District acknowledge and address
cumulative and inequitable impacts of toxic air pollution on low-income
communities of color!

BAEHC is demanding that the District adopt our proposed
<http://www.baehc.org/downloadables/baehc_PollutionReductionProtocol_March2009.pdf>Pollution
Reduction Protocol
<http://www.baehc.org/downloadables/BAEHC_PollutionReductionProtocol_March2009.pdf>, which
calls for an end to new pollution and the implementation of pollution
reduction plans in overburdened communities.

Recently, the District proposed regulatory changes that were a step in
the right direction and would have created stricter air pollution
thresholds in highly impacted communities.
/
However, after pressure from industry forces who demanded to conduct
"business as usual," the District has now withdrawn their proposal for
more health-protective standards in communities most impacted by pollution./
_*
We need your support. Here's what you can do to help :*_
__*
*(1) *Add your organization's name* to
<http://baehc.org/AlliesSupport.html>our
<http://baehc.org/AlliesSupport.html>
<http://baehc.org/AlliesSupport.html>sign-on letter
<http://www.baehc.org/AlliesSupport.html>.

(2) *Mobilize with us* for the upcoming Air District Board meetings
on *Nov. 18th and Dec. 2nd*. Get to the BAAQMD building at 9:30 to check
in and tell them you're there for the Board meeting at
<http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=1765079976699026846&q=939+ellis+st,+san+francisco+ca&gl=us&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=YXH9SvrANYG8tgOct_GfBw>939
Ellis St. in San Francisco
<http://maps.google.com/maps/place?cid=1765079976699026846&q=939+ellis+st,+san+francisco+ca&gl=us&cd=1&cad=src:pplink&ei=YXH9SvrANYG8tgOct_GfBw>.
 Transportation is available from the East Bay and Southeast San
Francisco (contact BAEHC for details).

(3) *Call the Air District *Board Member
<http://www.sparetheair.org/sitecore/content/Home/The-Air-District/Board-of-Directors/Members.aspx>
<http://www.sparetheair.org/sitecore/content/Home/The-Air-District/Board-of-Directors/Members.aspx>who /should /be
representing you. Tell them to protect community health and adopt
BAEHC's Pollution Reduction Protocol. BAAQMD should create regulations
and guidelines that provide additional protection for communities most
impacted by pollution.

*/It's time to speak up loud and clear...//
/No more business as usual!
Stop the pollution in our communities! *
*
*
Bay Area Environmental Health Collaborative
(415) 994-2496
www.baehc.org <http://www.baehc.org>
/