[Sustain] Video: The Neoliberal City: Capitalism's Need To Perpetually Demolish & Hyperdevelop Cities

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Tue Dec 21 12:37:31 PST 2010

Hi all,

Now that we all have some holiday time,

Here's the YouTube address for a speech by David Harvey that explains
neo-liberal capitalism's dependence on economic pumping of cities as
redevelopment bubbles, including its constant need to unnecessarily
parasitize cities and their communities by purposely defunding,
decaying, driving out, demolishing, and rebuilding them.

This speech shows -spot on- why we find ourselves continuously fighting
gargantuan battles against rapacious developers over and over again;
required viewing for anyone who wants to truly understand what we are up
against, and then start developing ways to counter it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfd5kHb-Hc8

cheers

Eric B