[Sustain] Public Citizen Petition vs Corporate Free Speech

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Fri Jan 22 09:22:59 PST 2010

As we told you in an email this morning, the Supreme Court today allowed
corporations to use their immense wealth to take over our elections.

*The court has put our democracy up for sale.*

Public Citizen is launching a historic campaign to pass a constitutional
amendment to restore people to the center of the political process.

Join our grassroots mobilization to take back our democracy. The more
people who join, the more power we have to fight a corporate takeover.

*Forward this email to everyone you know who recognizes that letting
unlimited corporate cash into our elections will be a catastrophe.*

Public Citizen President Robert Weissman
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=%2B8g2q9jpbbCv3T25B%2BO5Gr8nwGqW2h2I>Click
here to watch a short video about the ruling and Public Citizen's
response to it. And sign our petition calling for a constitutional
amendment to prevent corporate money from overwhelming our democracy.
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=iUoKM2%2F8DQhNQ22O%2FsjO0r8nwGqW2h2I>

The shocking decision in /Citizens United v. Federal Election
Commission/ struck down 60 years of legal precedent prohibiting
corporations from making campaign expenditures to attack or support
political candidates. The court ruled that the First Amendment - meant
to protect the speech of actual human beings - gives for-profit
corporations the right to influence elections.

*People or corporations?*

Corporations are not human beings. Corporations should not be able to
use their vast financial power to drown out the voices of real people.

*Forward this email to friends, family, neighbors and coworkers to let
them know about our campaign to fight unfettered corporate power.*

Then watch the video and sign the petition.
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Lv16WfMd9arlhbYiszShdb8nwGqW2h2I>

Please help me spread the word and build a massive movement to save our
democracy.

*Forward this email. Watch the video. Sign the petition.*

Thank you.

Robert Weissman, President

To get regular e-alerts about opportunities for activism and other ways
to help with Public Citizen's work, sign up
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=hoBStHezXmNu6pF9YfOMLb8nwGqW2h2I>
for the Public Citizen Action Network.

Contribute
<http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=2OxxpsKKZl2EolsrC3mdLb8nwGqW2h2I>