[Sustain] CRUCIAL: Tell Mirkarimi & Mar Vote NO On Clerk's Mayor Appointment Process

Eric Brooks brookse32 at aim.com
Tue Nov 23 08:29:08 PST 2010

All,

It is crucial that the supervisors vote -no- today on the Mayoral
appointment rules process just proposed by the Clerk of the Board and
advising attorneys. (See attached.)

I have never seen a more convoluted process designed for failure in my
life. It is nearly impossible to understand its pretzel-like
implications at all, yet after reading it a couple of times, what does
become clear is that there is no way in hell that the proposed process
could lead to 6 votes to appoint a mayor.

Especially the provisions requiring Supervisors to leave the room for
various reasons and not be allowed to vote, and the necessity that
Supervisors permanently remove themselves from contention during various
points in the process will make it impossible to reach a successful
conclusion. There are many other similar extreme problems with the
proposed rule, too numerous to list; those are just the most obvious
examples.

If we are going to succeed in seating a progressive mayor quickly enough
to face the budget crisis, we must get the four votes necessary to vote
down this ridiculous rule.

ACTION: CALL supervisors Mirkarimi 415-554-7630, and Mar 415-554-7410,
right away and -before- 3pm today to insist that they:

"Vote NO on the rule proposed by the Board Clerk for the Mayoral
appointment, and instead proceed with existing Board rules with ongoing
advice from the Santa Clara County Council."

Daly, Avalos, and Campos are very likely already with us.

Their numbers are:

David Campos: 415-554-5144

John Avalos: 415-554-6975

Chris Daly: 415-554-7970